• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

All porcelain Crown or Porcelain fused to High Nobel Metal?

I

italiannyc17

My dentist has a machine called CEREC in his office that makes crowns in one visit in one hour. The tooth im getting crowed is a molar. He really is an amazing dentist and has always used them and even has one in his own mouth. Problem is that they are all porcelain with no metal.

I know that its better to have metal on the molar but he said they work very very well.

There basically the same price so I dont know what I want. The high nobel metal one would have to be sent out to a lab and id wait a few weeks, which isnt a concern cuz i dont chew on that side of my mouth till i get it on.

Whats the best to get?

What are you looking for? Strength, durability, aethetics. I think based on my (I'm not a dentist) knowledge, the answer is neither of those- gold would be the strongest, longest lasting.

Personally- I have all porcelain including molars, but they are lab made for implants and tought than CEREC says my dentist. Open my mouth and all my teeth look the same, no gray cloudy look of PFM.

rp

These days one of the only advantage PFM (porcelain fused to metal) crowns have over all ceramic crowns is that there is less tooth structure removal with a PFM and they are "kinder" to the opposing tooth when compared to ceramic (ceramic is harder that tooth structure, so it wears the opposing tooth more than metal would). The e.max blocks used in cerec have compressive strengths similar to tooth. Zirconia is even better.

The following is a video of a zirconia crown compared to a PFM:

If you're really sold on a PFM but are opposed to the metal showing, your dentist can ask the lab to fabricate a PFM crown with full porcelain coverage.

I agree. The Zirconia crown is the best option these days.
The advantages or a CEREC is short waiting for the crown (which is not an issue for you) and the fact that no imprint material is needed (suitable ofr patients with a developed gag reflex). Other than that, CEREC does not have real clinical advantages.

I utilize a lot of zirconia crowns too via itero scans. The cerec can not do zirconia based crowns and all cerecs are monoliths.

Back