• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Eating/Brushing Teeth with a Temporary Filling??

J

josiegrossie26

I have a quick question. I had a root canal done on one of my upper molars ( on my right side ) about a week ago. The procedure was painless and quite quick. My dentist put a temporary filling in until I have the crown put in. The tooth hasn't been painful at all except for a little dull ache after the numbing stuff wore off and some Ibuprofen took care of that. However, I am a little nervous to eat anything on that side because I am worried the filling will fall out. I have never had a filling before ( I am 26 ) so it is taking some getting used to. I also am a bit nervous to brush where the filling is even though I know I need to. Any advice? What exactly is a filling made out of and how does it stay in? How strong is it? Thanks so much! :)

Re: Eating/Brushing Teeth with a Temporary Filling

Hi Josie, I would imagine that after a week you should be OK to eat and brush the tooth with the temp in, although they dont last for long so its best to get the permanent one in as soon as possible. I had temp fillings many years ago and didnt get the permanent ones in due to having this phobia and while they did last for a long time, they would gradually break off bit by bit so it is best to get the permanent one in!

However, I am a little nervous to eat anything on that side because I am worried the filling will fall out. I have never had a filling before ( I am 26 ) so it is taking some getting used to. I also am a bit nervous to brush where the filling is even though I know I need to.

That sounds like me about two months ago. I had my first ever fillings then in 28 yrs (I'm 29 now). :censored:I have two in the right hand side of my mouth on upper and lower molars and one incisor in the lower left hand side of my mouth.

I can honestly say that I've only just started to crunch and bite on the right side of my mouth. Not because it hurt or was uncomfortable, but because I was scared of loosing the fillings (still am). :redface:

As for cleaning, the first few days I was really carefull, when brushing the newly filled teeth, but now I just clean them the same as the rest. In fact I'd say I'm borderline obsessed about keeping my teeth extra clean now, even moreso than before. I wake up in the night in a panic and check with my toungue to check the fillings are still there and examine them in the mirror morning and night.

But they are tougher than you think you know ;D. I have a white composite one and two silver ones.(I think they're amalgam).

Hope your fillings go ok. keep us posted as to how you get on ok.

Take care
x

Hi, I also have temporary fillings right now, 3 of them to be exact, I got the root canals/temp. fillings put in, about 6 weeks ago I believe it was. In two weeks I'll be getting my crown prep/temp. crowns put on, temp. fillings removed. I was VERY hesitent do do anything near the temp. fillings at all for at least a week. I tell you though, they are very strong, I have had them for more than a month now, and I am able to eat on them (I still won't eat anything hard/crunchy at all, but then again, I just had all 4 wisdom teeth out a little over a week ago), I eat gently/carefully. I brush them fine, floss between them (not sure what the point of that is though, since they will be shaped for the crowns!)

Ah, my point is, after the first few days/week, it gets easier/you get used to them being there. I am still careful since mine have to last two more weeks, but my Dad has had a few temporary fillings for YEARS and they're still in there (he's dental phobic also, though he won't exactly admit it, I know he is).
-Heather

Hello,
I just wanted to say thank you for all the replies to my question; you guys rock!! :jump: It has now been exactly 3 weeks since my root canal and I had my temporary filling put in. About two weeks ago, I started brushing where my temporary filling was; I was nervous but I did it slowly and gently at first. Gradually, I have begun to brush that area like I brush my other teeth and everything is going alright. Actually, this week, I am planning to go and get a couple of fillings. I am a little nervous about it but...I think it will go alright. Once again, thanks for everyone's responses!

Glad everything is OK for you now.

Good luck with your next appointment :thumbsup:

Back