• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared to take immediate denture out for the 1st time.

S

satala

I had all of my upper teeth removed yesterday and an immediate denture placed. I was told to leave it in for 24 hours. It's almost time to take it out and I'm worried I won't be able to get it back in. I'm very swollen.

Does anybody have any tips? Do I just shove it in no matter how much it hurts?

Did they not tell you to return to your dentist to have it removed the first time?? That's what I was told. I had the appointment before the day of my extractions. I'd recommend you call your dentist ASAP. He will want to remove the denture and check your gums.

Hi Satala, are you in the UK like me? I had an immediate upper 2 months ago, I had very little instruction from my dentist and no follow up, (my friend TW is in the US, they get looked after much better there). After 24 hours I just took it out, gave it a rinse and rinsed my mouth with salty water, and put it straight back in again. It didn't hurt at all, it is not a problem really but I was very nervous about it at the time. :)

Thanks TerrifiedWoman and Totalwimp.

I was told to take it out in 24 hrs and rinse with saltwater. They gave me an appointment for next week to check the gums. I'm in the states so I guess your care depends on the dentist.

I just got through taking it out. It hurt but not too much. I was right about having a problem putting it back in but it was not the problem I thought it would be. I thought I would have to struggle to put it in since I am so swollen. Nope. When I gingerly placed it against my gums it fell right out. It's too big! Now I know why the oral surgeon said he used fixodent to hold it in. I used a Seabond wafer and it seems to be working but it is still loose. When I bite down I feel most of the pressure on the palate. I guess that's a blessing since it's not pressing on my sore, stitched gums. I better call the dentist.

Since I got the gooey mess of fixodent off the denture and my gums I can feel the back of the plate againt my palate. When I started to talk to my husband I got the dreaded gag reflex. It stopped as soon as I stopped talking. My husband is loving this. There is finally a way to shut me up.

Ha ha, my husband thought that too but not for long! I am glad to hear that you managed, it is early days and it will improve as time goes on, your dentist will adjust the denture when you see him, IMO Seabond is much better than Fixodent, I can't stand the goo. Good luck with it and let us know how you are progressing. ;D

I had the same problem with mine being too large right from the first time the dentist removed it. Seabond doesn't work at all for me..the denture just drops right down. I've found Fixodent ORIGINAL to be the best adhesive because if you use it first thing in the morning it holds the entire day and when you remove the upper, you can then get hold of the chunk of Fixodent (which always remains in my mouth..not on the denture!) and just peel it right out in one piece. I've been back to the dentist four times in two weeks for trims here and there to make the dentures fit better..and at the moment they are staying in place quite nicely.
Wasn't sure where you were located..and am really surprised they didn't want to see you in the office the next day after your extractions. Gosh, that seems a bit mean to me..just sending you home with no instruction or anything. :(
Hang in there..it gets easier every day!!

It's still difficult to talk and be understood so I sent an email to my dentist. I think the office had just closed but the receptionist emailed me back and said she would get me in tomorrow.

I have some fixodent which I will try after the stitches are taken out. Then I can see which one works better for me.

This is an interesting journey. Not a fun one but interesting.

It really is interesting isn't it, I used to think that only a sadist could want to work as a dentist but since I have needed to find out about dentures I've realized how facinating dentistry is.
I think I'll try the Original Fixodent too, mine is Extra Strong Hold Fixodent, it would keep dentures in for a week and is well nigh impossible to get off the roof of the mouth :o

satala, I've been using Fixodent since the second day..right over my stitches. (which all fell out within about a week) Oddly enough the Fixodent never pulled the stitches..but I was careful to rinse with very, very warm water so it came out easily. ;) The dentist said it wasn't a problem with the stitches..I ask.

I'm now on day 15 and still sound odd to myself when I talk..so it does take time. Of course I've got a lower to..so that's my main issue with talking. My tongue still gets lost on it occasionally. :giggle:

I went to the dentist today and he made a few adjustments. It's still too big but I will be patient. He used fixodent when he put it back in and said it should not affect the stitches. I have found that I can cut the seabond into strips and one strip holds it in. It doesn't hold it tight but that's ok since I have to keep taking it out to rinse with saltwater.

Back