• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

not eat or drinking before sedation

G

Former Member
I have to leave in an hour so I don't know if I'll get a reply before that, but can someone tell me the point of not eating or drinking for 8 hours before sedation. I will not be going completely under and there will be no tube down my throat. I thought the eat/drink thing was for general anesthesia in case you threw up while asleep and the tube was in the way.

I haven't eaten, but have had a few sips of water as I have an awful problem with dry mouth. Thanks!

Hi - can't give a definitive answer to that one, I know that Gordon (who's in the UK) prefers to have people have a light meal about an hour before they come in (this is for conscious sedation), but it may depend on the drugs used for the IV. In the US, the standard advice appears to be no eating or drinking for 8 hours beforehand. For deep sedation, the reason appears to be that you may not be able to control your bladder and bowel movements, hence the requirement. I think (not 100% sure). Hope this helps.

Best of luck ;D! Let us know how it went once you've slept it off :).

Thanks so much for your quick answer. I feel much better that it probably isn't to do with aspiration (right word?) into my lungs or something really dangerous. Of course the other thing would be pretty embarrassing, but should be unlikely.

Thanks for your good wishes & I will post tonight or tomorrow. TTYL! :)

Please do - let us know how it went, once you've slept it off (most people feel a bit groggy for a while afterwards) :)! Hope the implants worked out fine!

It went unbelievably well!!! The IV sedation was a good thing. I still felt the shots, but then I almost fell asleep during all the drilling and bone grafts. Dentist said everything looked great. Still groggy, but from lack of sleep, as I have to sleep sitting up for two nights. Not easy,ha ha. And I probably will stop the pain pills tomorrow, as the only pain is at the injection sites.

If anyone has a choice between these implants and dentures or partial dentures, I would recommend this highly if the dentist will use IV sedation. It IS very expensive and I don't know if insurance covers them, because we don't have dental, but I'd work out a payment plan or even borrow the money, because nothing can take the place of "real" teeth.

Thanks again for your help and support!! :)

Hey, that's great [image] ! As far as I'm aware, insurance usually doesn't cover them (though apparently, a few are bringing in cover), but in the long-run they may well work out cheaper anyway (esp. if the two adjacent teeth aren't crowned already).
Thanks for letting us know how it went, and have lots of fun with your new implants ;D ;D!

Back