• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Smelly gum after extraction

S

swampiesue

Hi I am new to the forum,

I had a tooth removed on Friday due to a cracked root in a posted crown which had caused an abscess causing no pain in the tooth but a very sore gum and what I assume was a gum boil. The dentist extracted the tooth which I have never felt pain like it, the injections hardly worked at all, I have had a lot of work done over the years but nothing ever felt like this. Now I am terrified of dentists.

Anyway my problem is I was given no antibiotics nas the dentist tells me they are not required once the tooth is out,and the gum is still sore and the tooth, another crown hurts, the gum is weeping a foul smelling watery substance and still hurts. I am not sure if it is a dry socket as there is still a yellow plug at the very bottom of the socket. Spoke to the dentist reception this morning who said give it a couple of days if it has not settled come back. I am paranoid that the abscess has travelled to the second crown, could that be possible or could it be a dry socket, if it is is it safe to leave it that long, am taking Ibuprofen. Keep rinsing my mouth gently with salt water. Sorry to waffle but I am at my wits end but also terrified to call the dentist again, still suffering flashbacks from my last trip.

It's a dry socket for sure, get back onto the dentist. Infection in your mouth can't travel from one tooth to another.

Yes it was a dry socket, also one of the roots had been left,which is why the clot did not form properly and there was still infection. Finally removed root after a half an hour struggle. Tooth packed and back of to the dentist tomorrow to have it changed.

Back