• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Does a tooth's sensitivity to cold air an indication that I need a root canal?

B

beatrice

Does a tooth's sensitivity to cold air an indication that I need a root canal?

One of my molars is sensitive to cold air. I barely even notice it....maybe once every couple week.....and it doesn't even bother me. There is no pain in the tooth at all. My dentist says it's a deep cavity....which I am hoping can be fixed with just a filling.
But since the air is able to reach the nerve, does that mean I may need a root canal?

Re: Does a tooth's sensitivity to cold air an indication that I need a root canal?

I've been told by my dentist that a deep/large cavity can be filled, but they often don't hold that well if they are to large/deep. The last time I had this I was filled and then crowned. He didn't do an actual root canal though. Just the crown.

Re: Does a tooth's sensitivity to cold air an indication that I need a root canal?

Dentistry must have changed over the years as all my back teeth are heavily filled, I would say more filling than tooth on a couple and they have been like it for 20+ years.

When I had a crown fail a few months back it caused some decay on the tooth and it was sensitive to cold, sweet and air but after the filling it was fine again :)

Deep fillings if done well can last a lifetime I reckon. From what I know if you're sensitive to cold you prob don't need a root canal as it's one of the tests they do to check vitality. Partino, maybe your dentist just isn't that good at doing them. Perhaps these days people have such healthy teeth on the whole that dentists don't get so much practice as in the 70s when everyone was eating sweeties?

Perhaps these days people have such healthy teeth on the whole that dentists don't get so much practice as in the 70s when everyone was eating sweeties?

Or back in the 70s the dentists were wicked and liked to practice on our teeth!!

Plus we put flouride in the water in a lot of places now, as well as in toothpastes. (A point my boyfriend keeps reminding me of when i'm freaking out!) So teeth should so stronger now days

Back