• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth broke off to gum line

I

I'vegottoothworms

On Thursday I woke up to find that my lower right wisdom tooth had broken off to the gum line. There are small pieces of it left where each "corner" of the tooth was. Apart from the occasional twinge when I clinch my teeth there is no pain.

Can someone please tell me whether I need emergency dental care immediately or whether it can wait until my next check up? My next appointment is on the 28th of this month and the dental surgery I am registered with does not offer emergency appointments. When it first happened I tried phoning the NHS Direct line to find out the local surgeries that offer them but because of swine flu they have a message saying that they are only taking urgent calls. There don't have anywhere local listed on their website either, except if you consider 52 miles away local...:( Unfortunately, I cannot really afford to go private right now and I suppose I may need a surgical extraction anyway. Also, I will probably have to have another of my wisdom teeth out after my check up because I'm fairly sure I need a filling in it and it is chipped. As my boss won't allow me to work if my face is swollen and I can't afford to take time off work twice in the space of a month I'd prefer to have them done at the same time.

I have read about the various nasty things that can happen e.g. blood poisoning etc if the root dies and becomes infected. Is infection probable if I leave it or is this just a possibility?

My righ wisdom teeth are both broke off inside my gums with the bottom being way worse and they are both infected right now. They don't always hurt when infected either. I would say if it isn't hurting it could wait til the 28th of this month, but if it starts hurting you'll need antibiotics. The twinge is probably due to the fact that the root is exposed. That would be my guess. If the root is exposed infection is going to happen. It would just be a matter of how long from now it happens. Keep it as clean as possible to help prevent infection. If possible try not to chew on it.

hi
Just thought I would say that yes i think if your not in pain it can wait i have 4 teeth being taken out in 2 weeks under iv sedation and they are all badly broken so even if you saw a dentist straight away if yr not in pain chances are you would have to wait anyway i will have been waiting 6 weeks in total. Just a bit of advice dont eat on it or near it if you can help it getting food in it can really make it hurt im an expert at having broken teeth trust me mine have been broken for 4 years now!!
hope all goes well!!!!
emma

Back