• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bone Fragments after Tooth Extractions

S

shaz

I have noticed that I may have some bone fragments coming through from three of the four extraction sites. They feel very sharp to touch and the one that has come through feels like a tooth growing. They do not hurt at the moment, only when I touch them. I am curious as to know how long they may take to come out, or what to do if they may start to hurt.

Should I be worried about them or is it ok at the moment? They do not bother me at all, only when I touch them.

Shaz x

I was warned about this at my last appt. It is totally normal for this to happen. I don't know how long its lasts but it is no cause for concern unless you feel you have infection.

hello shaz, and welcome to the forum.

Bone shards are normal after numerous extractions, I had 8 teeth extracted about 8 -9 weeks ago and i still have one or two bone shards/slivers working through my gum. i got rid of most by using a cotton bud soaked in corsydol, and rubbed the gums, Another tip I have had is........ use a fine mesh to rub the gums ( such as nylon tights/ stockings and rub it over thr gum)

failing the above........... the bone shards should absorb into the blood stream with no cause of alarm

I had an extraction four weeks ago and noticed a few days later that my gum was raised slightly. For the past few days I have had something coming through this part of gum with a sharp edge. Am I right in assuming that is what this is? Does a piece of bone just come through and out eventually? I was not warned this may happen.

Yes and yes. Next time you're at the dentist have a moan at them for not warning you about it.

I had 6 extractions done in March and I too experienced a bit of this. It is normal so no need to worry.

why cant they remove the busted tooth parts while removing the teeth?

dont they look around in there before sewing the gum up? :o

why cant they remove the busted tooth parts while removing the teeth?

dont they look around in there before sewing the gum up? :o

This is a quote from Mike in reply to my questions re bone shards......

"Dentists will have a quick check to see if there is any obvious bone debris which can be carefully removed but obviously as soon as the tooth is removed the socket bleeds in order that the healing process can begin- making it quite hard to spot these small fragments. Also it is important to avoid too much 'investigation' (with a probe or tweezers for eg) of a fresh socket, especially if it is a back tooth which may be near the maxillary sinus.

The slivers often work themselves out, (in much the same way as little splinters often work themselves out)."

I am experiencing the same thing after having all my upper teeth extracted. I informed my dentist that those bone fragmants are quite painful as I have several of them and I dreaded putting my denture in my mouth every morning and I was unable to chew. I then asked if he would remove them, he just kinda shrugged his shoulders and said we will fix your denture. He proceeded to place some powder on my denture and inserted it back in my mouth to see where it was hitting then took a dremel looking tool and proceeded to shave those spots. when he inserted the denture back in my mouth, it did not cause as much discomfort but now it just fell out unless I kept my tongue up there to hold it. I was furious as the denture fit very snug prior to this. I just did not make any sense to me that he would adjust the denture to accomidate something that would eventually go away. Upset when I arrived at home I researched the internet for a product that would make them more comfortable and hold at the same time. I FOUND THE BEST PRODUCT EVER! It is called Cushion Grip. I purchased a tube at CVS Pharmacy and what a world of difference this product has made. I was able to insert the denture without pain and more importantly CHEW as I was so hungry from not being able to eat REAL food!:jump: I am a happy camper! It is a thermoplastic and you warm it in hot water prior to applying, it lasts for 4 days without having to reapply even through cleanings, soakings and brushing. Anybody battling bone fragments pushing through their gums should try this product. it has made a world of difference for me.

Last edited:
I am experiencing the same thing after having all my upper teeth extracted. I informed my dentist that those bone fragmants are quite painful as I have several of them and I dreaded putting my denture in my mouth every morning and I was unable to chew. I then asked if he would remove them, he just kinda shrugged his shoulders and said we will fix your denture. He proceeded to place some powder on my denture and inserted it back in my mouth to see where it was hitting then took a dremel looking tool and proceeded to shave those spots. when he inserted the denture back in my mouth, it did not cause as much discomfort but now it just fell out unless I kept my tongue up there to hold it. I was furious as the denture fit very snug prior to this. I just did not make any sense to me that he would adjust the denture to accomidate something that would eventually go away. Upset when I arrived at home I researched the internet for a product that would make them more comfortable and hold at the same time. I FOUND THE BEST PRODUCT EVER! It is called Cushion Grip. I purchased a tube at CVS Pharmacy and what a world of difference this product has made. I was able to insert the denture without pain and more importantly CHEW as I was so hungry from not being able to eat REAL food!:jump: I am a happy camper! It is a thermoplastic and you warm it in hot water prior to applying, it lasts for 4 days without having to reapply even through cleanings, soakings and brushing. Anybody battling bone fragments pushing through their gums should try this product. it has made a world of difference for me.

I had all my teeth extracted 4 weeks ago.Bone fragments are popping up everywhere but none has worked thier way out. My dentist told me it was normal, but never even felt them to see just how bad thet were, He would just adjust my dentures (with the dremmel) and put them back. It has been very painful and i left every (5) visit crying .:cry:On my last visit i had all i could stand and went to a new dentist . Not only was the lab tech horrified at how bad my denture was but I am now scheduled for surgery to have this all fixed. I can not wait for this pain to be over and eat some normal food (-15 lbs) so far. I was also told that the roof of my mouth is abnormal,there is a lump so my denture will never seal properly. Something I wish I was told before hand. TY for your story , I am going to look for that product tomorrow :jump:

THANKS!!! GREAT ADVICE- The Pantyhose tricked worked!! If there was ever a time I wanted to get a runner in my pantyhose, this is the way to do it and get the sharp tooth fragment gone! Excellent advice, I am...gratefullycured! :jump:

hello shaz, and welcome to the forum.

Bone shards are normal after numerous extractions, I had 8 teeth extracted about 8 -9 weeks ago and i still have one or two bone shards/slivers working through my gum. i got rid of most by using a cotton bud soaked in corsydol, and rubbed the gums, Another tip I have had is........ use a fine mesh to rub the gums ( such as nylon tights/ stockings and rub it over thr gum)

failing the above........... the bone shards should absorb into the blood stream with no cause of alarm

I had 23 extractions done about 2 weeks ago. I just went to see the dentist yesterday for the first time since my surgery and there were a few spots on my mouth that were really swelling up almost like little buds growing on my gums, well he said he needed to fix my denture so it would be more comfortable since I wasn't even able to wear it since a day before Thanksgiving. Once he "fixed the denture" and put them back in it didn't hurt as much but it didn't feel great either. I went to the movies and was out for the first time since my surgery but while sitting there the pain was getting worse so I had to leave and go home to take the denture out. I noticed that there are little pieces of bone now coming through the skin and I'm not sure if its better for me to just leave the denture out until these bone fragments go away or does wearing the denture help get rid of them? I'm not getting any return calls from the dentist and I'm seriously at my wits end! I don't understand if he's looking at my mouth yesterday shouldn't he have been able to tell that these were bone fragments and mentioned them to me instead of me finding them on my own in complete horror? Should these be removed or how does this work, any HELP would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!:confused:

Hi sometimes if they are causing problems the dentist will remove them but as yours hasn't get a flannel or a pair of tights and rub it or them gently along your gums this might help you until you can get in touch with the dentist. :butterfly:

If it is not bothering you then consider very carefully if you want to have anything done about it. I had one of quite a few impacted teeth removed under general anaesthetic in my early 20's. After I think he said 5 hours he closed me up (I believe I was going into shock because I experienced symptoms akin to it when I woke up. He said he'd seen accident victims in better shape than my mouth, which was too small to fit all my teeth. Fast forward to my 30's and I went to a new dentist. He said I had a remnant of a tooth that coming up from my lower jaw bone on the right side of my face, and that if he didn't extract it it might cause problems in the future. Oh, what a big mistake! It had never bothered me except that I felt its presence. It didn't pain or anything.

The problem was, the root was very deep and solid, and the dentist got in over his head, so to speak. He had to use a jack hammer type of instrument and I was in such extreme pain. He said I lost a lot of blood and to go in the other room and rest before I left. Interestingly enough, a few years after that I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia (which could have been attributed to a number of factors but I'm sure this trauma contributed to it. So be very careful - how deep and solid is that remnant? Will the dentist be able to numb the area adequately. How much bleeding will there be? There may be a very good reason why that fragment is left in there.

Had full upper extractions about two months ago - now have tiny piece of tooth (I think) poking through my gums. No pain associated with the piece but worried the dentist is going to try to remove it when I go today.

Relieved im not only person suffering through this bone/tooth spurs..only hurts with denture.

I had a tooth removed last four days ago. It was a back molar that had grown in behind the rest of the teeth. It was removed and there is a large sliver of tooth or bone sticking out. This was completely noticeable the same day of the removal. Why didn't the oral surgeon remove this the same day? He scheduled me for a week and a half out to see the status of the piece, but it is driving me crazy. I paid extra money to not be awake for the tooth removal and now I'm going to have to be awake for the removal of this piece of bone... I can't even get a filling without crying (on gas and numbing shots nonetheless). Once again, this piece was completely visible and noticeable the same day of the surgery, I was just so out of it after the procedure, I didn't notice until I got home and changed all the gauze. :confused::(:scared::hmm:

From what I understand the hard bones that you are feeling under your gums are in fact not tooth fragments at all, but instead part of your jaw bone. If you run your finger over your gums and it is bunpy and sharp right? This is a common occurrence when teeth are extracted and will eventually straighten and smooth out over time, or you can have a procedure done known as an Alveoplasty. This is where they smooth out your jaw bone where your teeth once were. If you are looking to get dentures soon, Alveoplasty is what you would do to speed up process.

Back