• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help! Gum Pus!

K

Kover45

Okay, so I visited my dentist about pus coming from my gum and she told me that it was caused by two impacted teeth stacked on top of each other in my gum and the only way it will stop is to get them removed. So she put me on the NHS waiting list and told me they should be removed in 6-12 months!

Until then I have to drain the pus out several times a day, she also gave me 5 days 250mb Amoxicilin (Which is even weirder since last time I had a gum infection my previous dentist gave me 10 days 500mb Amoxicilin.)

This is crazy surely! I'm constantly worried the infection will spread and cause sepsis or a brain abcess or something else equally horrific...

I'm meant to just keep draining an infection every day for almost a year till the teeth are removed!? This can't be safe... I'm so scared please help, is she doing the right thing?

I'd query whether you have been referred on an 'urgent basis' or not. What you have quoted sounds like on a routine basis, where the wisdoms are a bit annoying but bearable...maybe she's a bit inexperienced?
What's been suggested doesn't sound reasonable to me at all but I'm not a dentist.

I don't think she has no, both the teeth are upper right at the back, the bottom one is half crowned but stuck between two other teeth and theres another tooth above that.

There seems to be like a slit/hole in my gum where the pus comes out at the side. I'm constantly worried I can barely sleep she already knows I suffer from severe anxiety.

I've got a check up appointment with her on the 11th this month.

I'm going to make an appointment with my GP in the morning to speak to him about it, I know he's not a dentist but he should at least have knowledge about infections.

Also sometimes when I drain it especially in the morning it's a lot darker like theres a lot of blood mixed into it instead of its usual creamy colour.

Good idea - he should also have a fast track to hospital treatment as well if he chooses to use it.

The doctor seemed extremey shocked at what I told him and prescribed me 21 Co-Amoxiclav 500mb+125mb tablets.

He said that for the dentist to leave me with an infection was idiotic and seemed very concerned.

Should I speak to my dentist about this? Or just change my dentist? Do you think it's worth getting legal advice?

Also I'm very scared taking them as with all antibiotics especially since under the side effects 1 in 10 thousand people can get a fatal rash etc....

But my doctor calmed me the best he could and explained to me they are just a more powerful form of Amoxicillin.

I think you do whatever you need to do to get an urgent hospital referral. To be fair to first dentist, you should maybe go back to ask for an urgent referral on basis of infection being a serious risk (as confirmed by GP) ...if she does not cooperate then you change dentist/return to GP and request referral and also lodge a complaint about inadequate care.
With a bit of luck, she will see your logic and speed up the referral. If she is an associate NHS dentist, you could ask to see one of the Principal dentist's at the same practice with a view to getting an urgent referral.

The risk of infection from not taking the antibiotics is far greater than the risk from the antibiotics themselves so that one is a no brainer and giving the impression you are reluctant to take antibiotics will not help your case.

I know don't worry I've already taken the first tablet and next one is at 7pm.

I'll definitely speak to my dentist about the urgent refferal and do what you mentioned.

Back