• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Am I really too late to save my teeth?

T

toolate?

I grew up too poor for dental care. The only care I remember recieving was from someone who came around to my scool once in a while until the age of 12 when I went into the foster care system. Each event was painful and traumatizing. One dentist even had my lip twisted in his ring and got angry when I pushed his hand away. As an adult I tried to go several times but I never had much luck with finding a good dentist. I was met with pain experiences or the dentist was condescending.
I tried very hard to care for my teeth. I brush regularly, floss and use oral antiseptics. I did not address the fillings that fell out or cracked molars, just kept them clean and free of infection. There were many years of self treatment (I even made my own flipper) because I couldn't make myself go back to a dentist. Last year one of the uppers (which was loose) got knocked out. It was still a whole tooth so I filed it down to the appropriate size and made a flipper out of denture repair material. I realized that things were getting serious and after a year of researching, I finally got up the nerve to go to a dentist. Well I didn't get warm and fuzzy - what I got I perceived as indifference (might just have been me), and his recomendation was to simply pull all of my upper teeth and get dentures because of periodontal disease. I have to say this shocked me because many of my teeth are still firmly rooted and not loose. One of the upper molars is dropping - I can feel the root and one eye tooth is wiggly.
I listened to the dentist as he dictated his assessment to the hygentist. I heard a few 8's in the uppers, mostly 5 & 6's and some 2's. #18 he said needs to come out, and the lowers were mostly 1s & 2's but one or 2 6's.
So the trauma continues... I asked about transplant instead of dentures. He simply stated "no structure". He also said to schedule an appointment with the periodontist at the practice and he would evaluate if any of my lower teeth were worth saving. Most of my teeth are fine - it's my gums that are bad.
Is it really too late to treat periodontal disease? When is it too late to consider bone and tissue grafts and transplants? I am otherwise a very healthy 55 year old woman. With the exception of mild arthritis in my hands, I have no medical issues at all. I still have 10 years of work left and being a lecturer, I do not want to retire my teeth before I am ready to retire. I am afraid that dentures will affect my speech during lectures.

Hi toolate? (or not too late, as the case may be ;D),

you probably already know the answer that's coming - run, don't walk, and find another dentist!

While it's impossible to say over the internet what exactly can or should be done (unless you fancy posting x-rays for our dentists here), it is obvious that the dentist you are currently seeing is not at all a good fit for you :(. You deserve to see someone who is kind and caring and has your best interests at heart :).

How did you go about finding this current dentist? (it might be easier to give suggestions if we knew this)

Congratulations on working up the nerve to see a dentist though, and for actually making it there :respect: - even if it didn't work out first time round!!

A periodontist/implantologist would be better placed to give an opinion on this whole issue in any event...not just on the lower teeth! I wouldn't trust this particular set-up. Second opinion time. Is it a low-cost dental chain?

There's also such a thing as implant-supported dentures..if implants are too costly.

Thank you for your replies. I've already started searching for another dentist. I found one within this forum from West Chester who I've reached out to via email. I found the last one via the internet - he had some very nice reviews and only 1 negative one (can't please everyone, right?). I wish I'd found this forum first.
I hate to think this way, but I wonder if the issue is that my mouth is too much work for what will be recovered by this in-network dentist. I'll go out of network and see what I can discover. I know I will have to contribute finacially but it will be worth it to find a group who is sensitive to my phobia issues. Do I have the right to ask for the x-rays taken on Tuesday or will I have to pay out of pocket for each extra consult and x-rays?

No you are certainly entitled to the x-rays - they may be free, or your dentist may charge a fee for duplication (because they are legally required to keep the originals).

I'll also send you a PM re. west chester (sometimes, not all reviews on the internet are genuine :rolleyes:)

It would be best to e-mail several dentists first and see whose replies you like! Or as Brit said, seek out a periodontist for the second opinion.

All the best with your search :XXLhug:

I grew up too poor for dental care. The only care I remember recieving was from someone who came around to my scool once in a while until the age of 12 when I went into the foster care system. Each event was painful and traumatizing. One dentist even had my lip twisted in his ring and got angry when I pushed his hand away. As an adult I tried to go several times but I never had much luck with finding a good dentist. I was met with pain experiences or the dentist was condescending.
I tried very hard to care for my teeth. I brush regularly, floss and use oral antiseptics. I did not address the fillings that fell out or cracked molars, just kept them clean and free of infection. There were many years of self treatment (I even made my own flipper) because I couldn't make myself go back to a dentist. Last year one of the uppers (which was loose) got knocked out. It was still a whole tooth so I filed it down to the appropriate size and made a flipper out of denture repair material. I realized that things were getting serious and after a year of researching, I finally got up the nerve to go to a dentist. Well I didn't get warm and fuzzy - what I got I perceived as indifference (might just have been me), and his recomendation was to simply pull all of my upper teeth and get dentures because of periodontal disease. I have to say this shocked me because many of my teeth are still firmly rooted and not loose. One of the upper molars is dropping - I can feel the root and one eye tooth is wiggly.
I listened to the dentist as he dictated his assessment to the hygentist. I heard a few 8's in the uppers, mostly 5 & 6's and some 2's. #18 he said needs to come out, and the lowers were mostly 1s & 2's but one or 2 6's.
So the trauma continues... I asked about transplant instead of dentures. He simply stated "no structure". He also said to schedule an appointment with the periodontist at the practice and he would evaluate if any of my lower teeth were worth saving. Most of my teeth are fine - it's my gums that are bad.
Is it really too late to treat periodontal disease? When is it too late to consider bone and tissue grafts and transplants? I am otherwise a very healthy 55 year old woman. With the exception of mild arthritis in my hands, I have no medical issues at all. I still have 10 years of work left and being a lecturer, I do not want to retire my teeth before I am ready to retire. I am afraid that dentures will affect my speech during lectures.

hi I know this is a very old post but I am interested in how things worked out for you.