• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Flying after tooth extraction

I

italiannyc17

My first molar had a root canal done on it but the tooth was to far gone that it failed. This was a year ago. The root canal stopped the horrible pain, but it still hurt when I pushed on it. Went to an oral surgern and the apico success rate for my tooth is slim to none so it has to be pulled.

Right now I am having some slight annoying aching in the tooth and think I should get it pulled before my vacation. I am curious why the tooth would still ache if there is no nerves in it but whatever.

My question is, If I get the tooth pulled 1 week before I fly 2 hours, will that be enough time? Its not a wisdom tooth extraction but still an extraction none the less. I was a little worried about the pressure on the plane.

So is a week long enough?

Thanks

The pain you are feeling might be due to an infection at the root of your tooth, soft tissue and bones can still hurt even if the tooth is dead.
I've had a number of teeth pulled and one week is the minimum recovery time to feel normal again.

The pain you are feeling might be due to an infection at the root of your tooth, soft tissue and bones can still hurt even if the tooth is dead.
I've had a number of teeth pulled and one week is the minimum recovery time to feel normal again.

Interesting. Alot of people I know were normal the day of or by the next day. My brother just got the same tooth pulled and was fine in like 2 days. I guess everyone is different

I've only had one tooth extracted-- also a molar-- and I was pretty much fine after a week, although I didn't start brushing near the socket until about the second week. The timeline for me was:

Moment of extraction: no pain at all during the extraction!
An hour after: switching out gauze every fifteen minutes, no pain
Two hours after: woke up from nap, took painkiller, no pain. Gentle saltwater rinses.
Six hours after: eating soft foods (pudding, applesauce, yogurt), no pain, took another painkiller just in case
24 hours after: no more painkillers, still sticking to soft foods, saltwater rinses
48 hours after: starting to eat soft foods (bread, pasta), saltwater rinses
3 days after: eating most foods besides corn chips or things with sharp edges.
5 days after: barely remember I even had an extraction

I don't know anything about flying while healing, but I think after a week the clot should be pretty well set up and I don't see that pressure would have any real effects.

I think a week should be fine, but that's just based on my own personal experience of course.

Hope it's a fun vacation!

Flying after 7 days isn't a problem.

Well I think I am going to get it extracted tomorrow. I dont really feel anymore aching on it though but better to just get it over with before it becomes bad sooner or later. My dentist is awesome and I never feel pain, but I also never had a primary tooth extraction. I sure hope this does not hurt!

Well now I have to go in tomorrow instead. I spoke to the sec and she told me that " Molars need surgical extractions " and I would need stitches. I do not believe that. I dont think she knew what she was talking about. I was under the assumption that molars besides the third can just be pulled normally?

About 30 percent of the crown of the tooth is off, but from what I see, you can still put pliers around it.

Well now I have to go in tomorrow instead. I spoke to the sec and she told me that " Molars need surgical extractions " and I would need stitches. I do not believe that. I dont think she knew what she was talking about. I was under the assumption that molars besides the third can just be pulled normally?

About 30 percent of the crown of the tooth is off, but from what I see, you can still put pliers around it.
I had a molar extracted recently and it required no stitches or special care. But it may be that this practice just prefers to schedule extra time for any complications. Dental receptionists sometimes have a strange perspective on dental care, since they're in the office and they make the appointments, but they don't really have any dental training. I wouldn't worry about that statement; if anything, it's good that the practice is anticipating the more complex outcome so you won't be rushed.

Here's a big correction though, for anyone reading: Extraction doesn't involve pliers or anything like them, and isn't a pulling/tugging process! A lot of people think that extraction will be more complicated if the tooth is broken to the gumline, since there's nothing to "grab onto". (I thought that and it actually kept me away for much longer than I might otherwise have stayed away...). Extraction is actually more of a pushing process. The dentist will firmly push on the tooth to sort of rock it back and forth in its socket. The pushing is pretty hard, but not painful (you're numbed up beforehand). For me, the dentist pushed for about 10 seconds, and then stopped and pushed from another direction for another 10 seconds. After about the sixth push, she announced that the tooth was out! No one tugs or pulls on the tooth. The goal, as my dentist explained to me, is to cause the gums and connective tissues to release their hold on the tooth gently, so that it's free to come out without any force. So you don't actually need any exposed tooth for the "pliers" to grab onto-- because there's no pliers! In the event that the tooth is completely worn down smooth and there's no exposed surface to push on, the dentist might use the handpiece to shape a kind of divot that she can use to push on. Since you're numb, this isn't a big deal.

The whole process of extraction can take as little as 10 minutes, and is very gentle and painless. If there's excessive bleeding the dentist may place a dissolving stitch to control it, but really you should be in and out pretty quickly.

Good luck!

I had a molar extracted recently and it required no stitches or special care. But it may be that this practice just prefers to schedule extra time for any complications. Dental receptionists sometimes have a strange perspective on dental care, since they're in the office and they make the appointments, but they don't really have any dental training. I wouldn't worry about that statement; if anything, it's good that the practice is anticipating the more complex outcome so you won't be rushed.

Here's a big correction though, for anyone reading: Extraction doesn't involve pliers or anything like them, and isn't a pulling/tugging process! A lot of people think that extraction will be more complicated if the tooth is broken to the gumline, since there's nothing to "grab onto". (I thought that and it actually kept me away for much longer than I might otherwise have stayed away...). Extraction is actually more of a pushing process. The dentist will firmly push on the tooth to sort of rock it back and forth in its socket. The pushing is pretty hard, but not painful (you're numbed up beforehand). For me, the dentist pushed for about 10 seconds, and then stopped and pushed from another direction for another 10 seconds. After about the sixth push, she announced that the tooth was out! No one tugs or pulls on the tooth. The goal, as my dentist explained to me, is to cause the gums and connective tissues to release their hold on the tooth gently, so that it's free to come out without any force. So you don't actually need any exposed tooth for the "pliers" to grab onto-- because there's no pliers! In the event that the tooth is completely worn down smooth and there's no exposed surface to push on, the dentist might use the handpiece to shape a kind of divot that she can use to push on. Since you're numb, this isn't a big deal.

The whole process of extraction can take as little as 10 minutes, and is very gentle and painless. If there's excessive bleeding the dentist may place a dissolving stitch to control it, but really you should be in and out pretty quickly.

Good luck!

Well thats good to know. Im curious if you know this answer.. What happens if the tooth breaks apart while being extracted

They just pick out the pieces. Good luck :butterfly:

you'll be fine to fly a week after getting a first molar out, i'm sure.

i've also had my first molar out, top right side. no stitches, and it healed quite quickly, with no issues at all. this was the first ever tooth i had pulled, and i was quite scared beforehand. the dentist's office i go to does surgical extractions as well as regular extractions, but i don't recall any surgery having to be done, they just pushed and rocked the tooth the way everyone describes. no actual pulling. btw, this tooth had a large piece broken out of it, and there was no special procedure needed for me.

Hmm thats good to know also.

Last question before I go in to get this done. I am assuming the infection that was at the root tip is the reason I feel pain at all on that tooth. Will antibiotics work and hold off anything till maybe I came back from the trip, which is 2 weeks from today?

Like I said, its not any severe pain or anything. Nowhere near when I needed the root canal on it. Just was gunna pull it just in case it acted up while away. I was just wondering if taking antibiotics for the next week will put whatever pain I have at bay and then be fine to get it extracted the day after I come back

If it is an infection then the antibiotic will ease it for that period usually, but it will not clear it up or make it go away. It will only suspend it for a short time. It will come back but I would think you would be okay until after you get back.

I am not a dentist and you should discuss this with your dentist and see what they recommend you to do.

I hope you get this sorted out soon. Enjoy your trip :butterfly:

I flew soon after I had a tooth extracted, both in normal passenger aircraft and small unpressurized ones, and it wasn't a problem. I even had a complication, an infection that had to be treated with antibiotics, but even that didn't prevent me from flying.

You run a small risk of complications as you normally would even if you don't fly, but if your tooth is bothering you now, I'd say get it pulled before your vacation.

Even if I had a complication, I felt a lot better once the bad tooth was out.

Good luck!

Well here is an update. The dentist did not pull the tooth. He would have but he suggested that I wait until I come back since I was not in severe pain. Just a dull ache every now and then. He said that since I am leaving in a week, and they are closed this sat sun and monday for the holiday that he didnt want to risk it.

He said if I had a dry socket, or something along those lines, then I would not be able to go on vacation and that it would be ruined if that happened to happen while I was away. He saideven if I ended up with a socket, and I came in before I left, he would have to pack it, and then be packed again the next day.. And it just wouldnt work out

He gave me antibiotics for clindaymycin 4 times a day 300mg. I think that is strong and might call back just to get amoxicliin. He told me I shouldnt take it unless I really started to feel pain, but understood if I wanted to take it now so I wouldnt be on it while I am on vacation.

He said we can extract it when I come home and not to really worry about the pressure from the plane bothering you. Its only a 2 hour trip and he said IF that happened, just take some advil before hand and while up there.

So thats my story..

What do you guys think, should I start taking the pills now? Or should I wait and see if it gets worse? I just hate the idea of not taking it then by SAT lets say it bothers me and I need them. Then the trip is ruined with no drinking =[

Only reason I wanted to start now is because its for 7 days and I wanna drink while down there.

What would you guys do?

Last edited:
I would take it if it were me, but I don't drink and I am not going away. You know you cannot drink for a few days after you stop taking the antibiotic. It stays in your system for some days after.

I hope you have a good holiday and get to enjoy it, hopefully your tooth won't give you trouble. :butterfly:

Well I heard this clindamycin has HORRIBLE side effects, so Im calling in the morning for some good old fashion amoxicillian.

Yes it can have, both have horrible effects on you if you drink with them. Check how long after taking them you can have a drink.

Good luck enjoy your holiday.:butterfly:

There are no problems with alcohol with either of those 2 antibiotics. The only one to worry about is Metronidazole.

They can interfere with the contraceptive pill however, especially Clindamycin, which is maybe worth mentioning :)

Well I wish he would have pulled the damn thing because now its bothering me. I started my antibiotic today. I dont have any pulsating pain like before I got a root canal, but its more of a feels swollen always paying attention to it kinda thing with the occasional pain. Also started hurting a lil more as I started the antibiotic, weird. Hopefully they work and take the annoyance away. I might just get it extracted this weekend at an oral surgern I know and take my chances on vacation.

Damn you root tip. Had a perfectly good root canal, yet that damn thing still kept an infection. Damn you. Even swishing around fluride rinse bothers it, along with jumping up and down

Last edited:
Back