• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

going for extractions soon & immediate dentures im scared!

L

luvmydoberman

I recently made myself go to the dentist after a lifetime of bad experiences with dentists and then almost 18 yrs of just refusing to go because of the fear & judgement of how bad my teeth were. I went yrs ago & had 5 top teeth taken out & after the way the dentist treated me, shaming me and ebarrassing me because of the condiion of my teeth, I never went back.The rest of the top 8 i have left are rotted & some are broken in half & its hard for me to eat. I finally got up the courage to go. I want to be able to smile again! I have already made it thru the appts of consultations,xrays,& ultimately the decision to remove the remaining 8 & get dentures. I had my impressions made a wk ago because they are putting the denture in immediately after the extractions. I actually got to see the teeth today & they look beautiful but Im terrified! I go next wk on Mar 6th im worried how the extractions will go. Last time i was iv sedated,this time i will have nitrous & numbing. Im extremely worried about the pain afterwards also and of course how long its going to take me to get used to them. I need some support & help from people who have been there. Im really scared!:shame:

Hi, although I haven't had this done good luck on the 6th and keep thinking of those immediate teeth you've seen that look great, I'm sure you'll be fine, let us know how it goes. You're moving forward which is fantastic.

Hiyer,

I'm sorry I don't have experience of the type of work you are having done, but there are others here who have had extractions and then dentures. I wanted to reply to you though, as you sound so scared. I just wanted to say, regarding pain afterwards (and I am only basing this on my ONE wisdom extraction and my daughter's 4 extractions as part of orthodontic work, which were both just done with local anaesthetic) I was ASTOUNDED to find that there was no pain afterwards at all. None for either of us.

I think, from reading here, the level of pain depends on how easily the extraction goes (does the tooth break. are roots broken etc.) and how slowly and carefully it is done. I know that most people have said though, that even if there is some pain a few pain killers sorts it out. In my case it was a blessed relief, considering that there had been dreadful pain beforehand. Have you already been in considerable pain with the teeth ?

You have done really well to get yourself to the dentist and have all this work done, and though I know you will be petrified (I would be !) I think you will manage this, I just have a feeling :thumbsup: :)

I had 12 teeth extracted and 4 root canals on one day (i did oral conscious sedation) then got immediate dentures. I will say I thought I was going to be in excruciating pain and amazingly my pain was minimal. He had me alternate tylenol and advil and at worst pain it felt like teething pain. I had a tad of swelling for about 1 day in one small area.

Now for the dentures part...I absolutely hate mine. Sorry, don't want to be negative, but I am miserable with mine. I don't like the way they look (they are too tall and bulky), I can't eat any foods I couldn't before (still eating mush foods, etc). I know over time it should get better, but they are also working on reconstructing my bite because my jaw was so far off which is why the denture is so tall. If my DH wouldn't get mad at me, these things would be in the trash and many a time thoughts of throwing them in the garbage disposal crossed my mind.:devilish:

I just wanted to thank everyone who has responded. I really appreciate all the support, Tues is coming really fast. I actually was blessed to be able to see my new teeth when I took my son for a cleaning the other day & I have to say the teeth are beautiful, small, almost perfect, my son couldn't believe how real they looked, which I have the blessing of great dental insurance & I went with the most expensive & realistic denture you could buy. I believe I'm going to be very happy with them, this is going to be the smile I've always wanted.I understand they are going to taker some getting used to but I can do it! I'm going to keep you posted on how things go so maybe I can help others as much as you have helped me. Thank you again & God bless you all.:)

Dropped in to send good wishes for your appointment tomorrow, you have such a positive attitude which will stand you in good stead :) << This will be you afterwards !

Just wanted to update how I'm doing and how everything went. Today is actually the day after.The entire process of removing all 8 upper teeth went very smoothly, alot easier than I expected. I had the nitrous oxide and numbing and never felt any pain. They put my dentures in a few minutes later. I almost cried at the sight of what a beautiful smile I have now. I went home and took a 2 hr nap, when I woke up my numbing had worn off and I was in some pretty bad pain. But percocet took care of some of it and a bag of ice. I bled pretty good but it didn't scare me. I wasn't sure if I would be able to sleep but I did. When I woke up I was pretty swollen in my upper jaw but the pain was not half as bad as the night before. I went for a check today at the dentist and I had developed a sore spot which they fixed on the denture. I took them out and put them back in myself with no mirror. My mouth is pretty sore but I can now take them out and rinse with salt water which feels awesome. My swelling has went down alot since this morning, except for right in the front which is giving me a monkey lip but other than that I'm expecting to feel even more better in the morning since the pain was alot easier to deal with today. God bless and prayers for anyone going through this situation, its a scary heartstopping experience for me to even go to the dentist, but I am so glad I went this route. It is going to be so worth it!:)

That's some achievement well done, apart from the pain and swelling I bet you're so relieved it's all over?
Now you can get used to seeing a nice smile and have a great quality of life which is priceless.

Congrats ;D

Thanks for the update, always nice to hear the outcome when people post...I am so glad that you managed all this, you must be incredibly delighted to have heaved that big block on the horizon out of the way. Well done !!!

Back