• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Jaw won't fuly open after extraction!

R

reedross

Hi! I had a 2nd molar extracted 2.5 weeks ago - I was such a nervous wreck that I had IV sedation and don't remember any of the event. Afterwards I had very little bleeding, no swelling and not a lot of pain (just took Advil) - I thought I was 'in the clear'. I called the office on day 10 because I still had some persistent soreness and could only open my mouth about 1/2 way. I went in to the office and they thought I might have a small dry socket, they packed it and told me to come back the next day. After about an hour, all the soreness went away - they took the packing out the next day. I called them again a few days ago (2 weeks after extraction) and told them I was concerned about not being able to fully open my mouth - I can't eat a banana or a heaping spoon of anything. I can just barely get my toothbrush in my mouth and that is a bit painful. They told me NOT to force my jaw open but to continue to apply hot compresses - I've been doing that several times a day and periodically measuring the opening between my upper and lower front teeth (which is consistently at 16mm)...... they are not concerned, and just want me to wait it out........ I don't know what to do? Thank you for any advice.

It is possible that the injection alone could have caused that on a lower tooth. It usually improves by itself over the next week or two.

Thank you for your response - so how long is the 'normal' amount of time this should take to resolve (or in other words, at what point is it normal to be concerned about it). I'm driving my husband crazy being upset over this as I'm really afraid that I will need some other type of procedure (which just makes me worry more - what a vicious cycle and I wish I wasn't like this!) Thanks!

Back