• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having jaw pain and unable to open mouth wide.

Z

zzmel

Hello"

I was visiting my daughter and I had to go to the dentist as my tooth was throbbing. Xray showed that tooth had to be extracted. This dentist that I went to is in a small town near to my daughter. The dentist only did general dentristy and had nothing but novacaine. Not even laughing gas. After 6 shots of novacaine, my lip was numbed but the dentist kept asking me if the tip of my tounge was numbed as well. No was the answer. After about an hour on the chair, the numbness subsided. Athough the dentist was caring including all the staff, I could not go on with the procedure. Needless to say I was quite disturbed that it was a waste of time. The cost was quite high for nothing done. The dentist mentioned to me that part of the cost was for pallative treatment whatever that is. The next day I decided to go at it again. The same thing happeneed. She told me that I must think positive thoughts which then I wouldn't feel the pain as much. She put more novacaine in and used a fairly agressive procedure by going very deep under the tooth. She convinced me that I should give it a go. I tried but when she used the tool that looked like an awl, I felt the pain increasing. I did not want to go any further as I was afraid that I would freak out and have a panic attack and she did not want that. Once again more disappoinment. Not too long after I left the office, I started to feel pain in the jaw and was unable to open my mouth wide. I can chew soft food but I have to cut it into small pieces and shove it into my mouth. I am finally home now and it has been over a week and a half and the jaw pain won't go away. There is also a slight swelling on my cheek as others have pointed that out to me. The dentist put me on antibiotics to help curb the infection of my tooth. I know I sound long winded but I had to tell you how it is. In the past, I had horrifying experiences with dentristy not only when I was in the military but growing up as well. I won't go into to that here. Maybe I will start a blog. :) I know I have to seek a dentist who uses sedation but the cost is something else. :cry:

Finally, here is my question. Since there are dentists who monitor this forum, maybe you can advise me. For one thing, why do I have this jaw problem when I never had it before? Is it possible the needle of the novacaine shot went too deep and hit a bone in my cheek? I want to thank you for your answer as any help will certainly will be appreciative. I am eager to look for an answer.

Best regards, :thumbsup:

Mel

Welcome :welcome:

It sounds like infection being present was causing the problem with numbing maybe?

I'll let the dentists answer the rest ;)

Things that come to mind that might explain your symptoms include a possible hematoma after injection, a worsening abscess from the tooth, or TMJ disc displacement. That's not a complete list, but that's what pops up for me. You should go have it checked out with a dentist since it has persisted over a week.

Well, here I am again:

I am not certain if I am posting in the right area but here is an update of what took place. I found a dentist who uses concious sedation and I decided to go for it. I had to take 3 tiny Halcion pills and after 45 minutes after I got into the car, I don't remember a single thing that happened and when I awoke, I was already home. These pills make you forget everything that has happened. There are only a few dentists who use this method. The dentist I went to specialized in tooth implantation and of course does general dentistry as well. The cost is so much cheaper than using IV sedation which can cost around $450.00. The pills only cost me $60.00. Truly worth it but you have to have somebody with you. :grouphug:

zzmel

Back