• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just got home from the dentist!!!

M

melodyl

Hi everybody:
It's been a while!!! I decided to take the bull by the horns and make an appointment to have my teeth cleaned. It was almost 10 months since I had gone. I have found the most awesome dentist. He is in NYC and he's the nicest person. I've gone to him 3 times now. Today was the 4th visit.

Now don't get me wrong. I still don't like the dentist but I am diabetic and I don't want any problems with my teeth.
Well, since my last visit, I got the Oral B electric toothbrush and I've been flossing after eating. Wow, what a difference that makes.
The dental hygienst said "good job".

So I sat there with my ipod and I listened to my music and I was actually moving to the music in the chair. Imagine that, a phobic who can snap her fingers and move while the hygienst is digging away at the tartar. There was no problem. She puts the numbing gel (as much as I want) and she does her thing.

When she was finished, she just beamed at me and I beamed at her. My in-laws came to meet up with me and they were my support system. How lovely of them.

So that's my story. I found my "good guy" and I hope many of you can do the same.

It really is not so bad when you continue to go and maintain your oral health. It makes all the difference in the world to your dental health.

I neglected my teeth my whole life because of my phobia.

Today, (even though I know this office caters to phobics, and would not hurt me), I still took a bit of alprazolam and it took the edge off. Works for me.

Maybe next time I might not need it but it's good to know it's there if I do.

So good luck to everyone.

Keep smiling!!

Melody

Back