• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sedation and IV sedation

J

Janice L

:confused:Tomorrow I go in for a tooth extraction. Two weeks ago I broke a tooth, and my normal dentist referred me to a oral surgeon. I have SEVERE anxiety already and cry through routine teeth cleaning. When the tooth broke my dentist prescribed halcion for the first time just to get me to the dentist office. Today's dental "consultation" with the new oral surgeon was soooo embarrassing. I just cried and cried and hyperventilated - I felt so embarrassed. The office seemed understanding and after coordinating with my primary dentist is was recommended IV sedation tomorrow, in addition to the halcion for the anxiety. Okay...here's the question. By the grace of God the halcion left me with no memory of the previous appointment (when the tooth broke). Can anyone tell me - if I need both? I am not that concerned about the $400 fee for the IV sedation (if it will get my butt in the chair, stop the shaking and uncontrolable crying I will pay it gladly) -- I don't see me getting to the dentist without the sedative for the anxiety - Will the halcion alone erase my memory of the extraction? Anyone?

Hi Janice and :welcome:

I'm unable to answer your question as I haven't experienced sedation but I wanted to wish you the best for you appointment. Someone may come along with an answer and if not, hopefully one of our kind dentists will come on board and be able to answer your question under their section.

The only thing I can say is that one of my friends has had halcion and said they had little recollection of their procedure. But, I'm sure it affects people differently so I don't know if it can be said with 100% certainty that it will. If you do have the IV sedation I'm sure you'll be happy with it, the majority of our posters rave about it.

Good luck :thumbsup: and please let us know how it goes.

:cheers:

Pam

Hi Janice :welcome:

I had both Halcion and IV sedation for my appointment.

For me, it was the Halcion that got my butt into the chair, and the IV sedation that erased all memory of the extractions ;D

Good luck, and keep us posted :grouphug:

Hey everyone,
I took the halcion about one hour before the appointment, and Idont' remember anything past the uneasy point when my husband said "Okay, it's time to go" and I got in the car. My next memory is waking up in my own bed with a bloody gauze in my mouth. Which is just fine with me. I definitely have aftermath pain of the extraction, but no memory of the appointment. I would say it went great. And I highly recommend it. (not the extraction but the halcion and sedation). I am actually teary eyed with relief.:rolleyes:

Congratulations! Well done! :jump:
The pain will be gone soon, but the relief will remain.

Back