• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm really scared now!!!

C

celle54

Its been a while since I posted. I have since gathered my money for my dentures and I applied for CareCredit and got approved. Three weeks ago yesterday I had my impressions made..talk about an experience. I was scared stiff but the lil technician was great working with me. The first stuff they used was like silly putty;D they took two full impressions and it just would not work the way the dentist wanted...then he decided to go with something that supposed to take like grape..yeah right..ewwww and that crap set like concret..I thought he was going to yank every tooth and my eye balls at the same time. Good thing is i have no gag reflex.
Today I called to check on the status of my "healing dentures" and found that they came in and were delivered to the oral surgeon Friday eve. Good thing is today is Monday and he's closed :jump::ROFLMAO:.
I was told I would definately hear from the oral surgeon this week for sure:hidesbehindsofa: Right now I have butterflies in my stomach just thinking about what fixing to happen. I will be IV sedated and 18 teeth pulled.:( Man I am so ready and yet as I type my hands tremble..I am so scared guys. I have read so much here and I am so glad to hear how great things turn out and knowing I will be ok but right this minute LOL..it aint helpin. I already need something for my nerves.
Thanks for listening..I'll be intouch.

hey
Wow you are so so brave but I don't think you see it that way!!! My friend had all her teeth out and dentures in under ga last year she was terrified but she knew it was time to get sorted. You sound terrified but in the same way totally ready to take this step. I know you will be fine my friend says one of the scariest things is getting the dentures ready as its such a big reminder of whats to come but she's so glad she did it now try and focus on yr fantastic new teeth and pain free life to come and you will get there promise !!
Emma

Brewer's right. Try to focus on the end result... pretty new teeth that never need fillings, crowns or root canals! I'm on day 12 after new dentures and was petrified of having my teeth extracted, especially the fronts. I had OS, nitrous and LA and did just fine. I would have preferred IV sedation, but my insurance doesn't cover it.

I started a journal here, and that helped a lot with the anxiety. You might give that a try. I also spent hours reading all the success stories. They're very inspiring.

Good luck, and just think about those brand-spanking-new pearly whites waiting for you!

Hello Brewer734 and Cielo..Thank you for your kind words. I have been preparing myself for this day since the first appointment and then after getting the impressions. I keep reading everyone posts and that in itself has helped me. Dont get me wrong I am still scared stiff.
I am dreading the call from the oral surgeon. The surgeon told hubby he could stay in the room with me while he was working on me but hubby said nooooo way:cry: Guess that saying is true..you have nothing to fear but fear itself. I am so looking forward to no more pain with my teeth. Right now I have two bottom teeth that are so loose that its not funny and I can't seem to get a hold to pull and trying to eat is the pits...but soon this situation will be resolved.
Everyone is different but how was the pain threshhold for you guys? I was told once that I have a very high tolerance for pain..right LOL
As soon as I hear something on the day and time I'll let you know..again thank you ever so much for responding..I'll be intouch.
Marcelle

Just read your posts and you sound a LOT like me right before I went thru with the extractions two weeks ago. You have NOTHING to worry about! If you're using IV sedation, it'll be over with before you know it. I had oral sedation and was awake during the entire process.....absolutely NO pain involved. I had been in pain for about two years before I finally had the guts to do it. I'm sooooooooo relieved to be done with it and laugh at myself for being so afraid. I think you'll feel the same way, too....:)

nosmokin2

Morning NoSmokin2...I've really been talking myself up big time since I talked to the dentist the other day. Now I dread the call from the oral surgeon..I am ready, really I am. Guess I am scared and worried about the what ifs and the pain. I've had so much surgery in my life you would think being put to sleep would not bother me LOL.
Oral sedation huh..noooooooooo not this girl and even the dentist knew I'd never make it thru without being knocked out LOL. Isn't it terrible here I am 55 and such a baby, the body might be that old but my brain and heart are not :giggle:
I know by everyone here that once its over I'll be wondering what the heck was I so worried about. I am looking forward to nice new teeth and never having to worry again about seeing a dentist cause now I can just pull'em out and hand them to him :ROFLMAO:
I have a script for 2 5mg Xanax to take at bedtime before the surgery and then one for the day of. Not sure I like the idea of the latter one since I'm going to be IV sedated.
Thanks ever so much for responding..sure helps in just talking about it and getting it out of myself..Will let you know when I hear from the oral surgeon..cause I sure aint calling him LOL

Waiting for that phone call must be nerve-wracking. I know you're dreading it, but I hope it comes soon so you don't have to wait and worry very long.

If you want to chatter in the meantime, we're here, and we know what you're going through. Having someone to talk to that's been there helps SO much.

Painwise, you're in what I'd consider an ideal situation. IV sedation would make things so much easier. I, too, have had multiple surgeries, including brain surgery to remove a tumor. I was told I had a 50/50 chance of surviving and an 80% chance of coming out of it a vegetable. I was more frightened about having my teeth extracted than I was brain surgery!

Like you, I've been told I have a very high pain threshold. But that never seems to help because when something hurts, it hurts. High pain threshold or not. I had one doctor put stitches in the back of my neck with no local because I was "tough." :o

I had NO pain during my extractions. I was given the maximum amount of Halcion plus Vistiraril, Valium and nitrous, yet I remember everything vividly. But what I remember most is that there was NO pain other than the LA injections, if you can call that pain. You won't even feel that, just the small poke from the IV.

Afterwards, my mouth was a little sore, but nothing compared to achy teeth. It was more of a tenderness than anything, and warm salt-water rinses eased that a lot. The LA injection sites were more tender than my extraction sites, actually, but still not painful. I was given Vicodin to take for a few days, which I took occasionally, but I would have been okay with OTC pain relievers.

My phobia has always centered around having teeth pulled. It helped to know that they don't actually pull the teeth. They use a tool to lift the tooth at the roots and work it out gently. I don't know if that thought will help you, but it eased some of my own anxiety.

I know you'll be amazed once it's all over. So much worrying and anxiety over something so easy. I love to read others' accounts from the other side... I can't wait for yours.

:grouphug:

CIELO....Well I got the call yesterday..I am scheduled for the oral surgery Sept 18 at 9am. Now I am nevous :)
I have been wondering how the heck do they pull the teeth..interesting.
I am so glad I'll be sedated..I don't think I could do any other way. I told him I'd be his first to have a heart attack if I wasnt asleep LOL
I am more frightened about the oral surgery than I ever was about my total hysty...my gallbladder removal and my heal spur surgery...to me those are nothing to what I am thinking of yanking my teeth out and waking with dentures..This forum has been great reading and wonderful encouragment and so positive.
Wow about your surgery..so how are you since that surgery? I hope you have completely healed and doing great.
Girl you must be "tough" :)
We're told as females we have to have a high pain threshold to give birth LOL..hmmm whats worse..dental or childbirth LOL
I would love to continue to talk..gives me a lift..talking really helps the nerves.
Oh you better believe I'll be posting about oral surgery..I sure hope its all positive LOL..I've researched this guy and have been told he's great and I'll be glad that he was referred to me.
I just want everything to not be so bad or get me down as I have an autistic grandson that I am raising...I will be talking to him and letting him know that the first day grandma might not be so playful or helpful..I want him to be able to see me and know gma is ok and he's ok and that gpa will tend to him..tho he'll be the first to say that gpa just doesnt know how to take care of him LOL
Better get off here..he's sneaking into the snacks and headed to the bedroom (silly child) oh he's nine and a half.
Laters..Marcelle

You do have your hands full! I commend you for raising your grandson. It's not a job for just anyone. :respect:

I'm glad you finally have a date set. I know how it can make things more real and therefore even scarier, but look just beyond!! Well, look a little ways beyond, anyway. :)

You're bound to have some really anxious moments between now and D-Day. I sure did. But I was going into mine fully conscious, and I knew the sedation wasn't going to work like the dentist thought it would. That eeked me out more than anything. You won't have that to worry about with the IV sedation. YAY!

When those anxious moments get intense, focus on having all of this behind you and a pretty new smile. Then come here and whine a good deal, we'll support you. :grouphug:

I'm glad you've found a good oral surgeon. I was lucky that my dentist does it all and does a good job of it. Having somebody you can trust makes such a difference.

My surgery was in '90, and went extremely well according to the neurosurgeon. I was his most successful case to date. He was the only surgeon in our state that had done that kind of surgery, and I was to be his third. The first patient died on the table, the second awoke in a vegetative state and never recovered. The first thing my comedian surgeon said when he saw me later was, "Hey! You made it!" I lost a little of my fine motor skills, but nothing horrible. My dentist thinks my weak jaw is related, but I didn't even notice it until getting dentures.

Brain surgery was a breeze, really. Had surgery on Wednesday morning and was up walking around the hospital (went to the gift shop to get something for my toddler daughter) by dinnertime. I felt fantastic. I was doing so well they let me go home Saturday morning and we stopped by a dog show on the way home to watch some friends show a dog. There were complications later when the stitches were removed and I was leaking CSF, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

Wow... sorry about the ramble. I do get carried away. :redface:

September 18th... only three weeks to wait! It'll seem like forever, but use the time to eat some favorite foods and make sure you've got lots of energy going into this. Rest as much as you can, but I know it's difficult with the grandson.

Stock up on protein drinks! I didn't realize "soft foods" meant "nothing harder than apple sauce" so I bought a lot of food that I wasn't able to eat the first couple weeks. I tried to make do on what I'd already bought and got pretty run down. The stress of it all caused a bacterial imbalance that had me in the bathroom more often than not and very weak for a few days. Everything balanced out again once I broke down and got some protein.

Pumpkin custard helped, too. You can use the canned pumpkin pie mix and add extra eggs for more protein. It was a real energy booster, and warmed up, it's very soothing on the mouth.

Oh, and I found that Lipton Green Tea is helpful at mealtime. What I can't chew up, I wash down with the cold tea. It's sooo soothing and refreshing and doesn't hurt the extraction sites.

I hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice. All my dentist gave me was to leave my dentures in a few days, and eat soft foods at first. HE still has all his own teeth, obviously. :meanie:

CIELO....laughing my rear off on that very last sentence :ROFLMAO:
Well before I let him do anything we're gonna talk...I heard from my sister a little while ago and she said a friend of hers said to keep a "cold" rag handy and use it to bite down on somewhat and let the blood if any get into the rag cause I dont wanna swallow the mess and then get sick to my stomach.
Hey I can use any thing you can tell me on how to get thru the first few days.
My lil grandson I have had since his birth..his mom is special needs but she lives on her own but with a good support system behind her when she needs and boy when she needs..oh lord LOL
3 weeks till the 18th???? Ohhhhh lord..:ROFLMAO:
I am really ready..really I am, I think :) I know I am worrying way to much but I can't help it. Don't know if I told or not but he gave me a script for two 5mg Xanax..one at bedtime the day before surgery and the last one an hour before..I am not sure on taking the last one..dang I dont wanna be dead since I'll be iv sedated. Just don't know yet.
Trust me I'll whine..bad or good :giggle:
Goodlordy shorty woman you were..no you are "tough". Well I am so glad to hear you have come a long way in your surgery. You have been thru alot and then teeth....and here i complain :)
I am going to be in a hard fix when it comes to foods softer than applesauce..I hate yogert and that other nasty stuff..I figure I'll do soups..jello..puddings..mashed taters and gravy?? Mmmm KFC mashed taters and gravy..mmmm mmmm mmmm LOL I am glad you suggest protein drink..what do you recommend? I dont wanna be running to the bathroom cause my stomach is missing solid foods. I kinda worry about my stomach anyways cause I have an ulcer..but thank goodness its not bothered me in a long way..usually it'll get me when under stress really really bad..but so far nothing,yet.
What is it like to swallow? I am so apprehensive!!
I'll close..think I'm gonna talk hubby into getting us some burgers..I really dread not getting to eat solids and seeing hubby and gson eat LOL..just aint fair but just you wait..Steaks here I come..(after healed)
Huggers..talk soon..
Marcelle

Just wanted to chime in and wish you luck!
I have a partial after 6 bottom front teeth were extracted in March.
I also commend you for taking care of your grandson. I have a nephew on my hubby's side who has autism and it can be a challenge but the smile they have on their faces makes it all worth it!!

Some food ideas I used was pudding, mashed potatoes, milkshakes, oatmeal, and anything else you can puree in a blender. Fruit smoothies are good as well.

I too have an ulcer mostly stress related so I know how you feel!!!

I think the best advice my dentist gave me to reduce swelling and pain was on the day after surgery use a cold pack...20 minutes on 20 minutes off for at least the first 6 hours. Also sleep with your head elevated the first night too as this helps with bleeding to stop.
Just my two cents....

OLIVACS....hey throw in those two cents and many more if you have them :)

hmmm fruit smoothies..never made any..guess i better start finding me something so i can make them.
Keep the head elavated..ok I can see that..lord gonna be a prob..I am a side sleeper LOL..I'm afraid I'm not going to get much sleep LOL..cant be on my side and then foreign stuff in my mouth :giggle:
Ulcers are the pits when they are stress related!! At least mine are.

My little gson is a joy..there are times you just wanna hang him from the highest. He teaches me alot and I learn alot..

Hope to hear more from you..keep throwing those cents in :)
Marcelle

ALL......Well today my cousin had her procedure and got her dentures. I called and for some reason her husband put her on the phone and ohhhh how I wished I had not called..she was feeling rough and just couldn't talk and I told her I'd call her in a couple of days.
Now I am scared...lol
Marcelle

Hi, Celle~

I didn't want to talk on the phone for a few days after. Not because of pain, it was just awkward and embarrassing. I was totally worn out, too. Lack of sleep beforehand, the procedure itself, the intense anxiety leading up to it, the drugs I was given... I'm surprised your cousin even came to the phone!

Your cousin is going through a lot right now. Don't be surprised if she still sounds off for a few days. And don't be frightened, either. It takes a lot out of you, especially when you've been worrying and not getting very much sleep. Some people become distraught at first at the thought of having lost their teeth. I didn't, but it's normal.

It's good that you're giving your cousin a couple days to recuperate. She'll likely have lots of stories to share once she's up to it.

Celle-give your cousin a few days to rest up. Right now, her entire mouth is numbed up from the LA so it's nearly impossible to talk clearly. I tried and had a heck of a time......had a few good laughs about it, too. I was numb for hours once I got home and couldn't nap so I entertained my family with my silly chatter. You really have nothing to be scared of!

Sally

Hey Sally, I could just kick my cousin's hubbys behind..I did not want to hear LOL but before I knew what hit me it was her..she couldnt talk tho she tried and was slightly understandable..all I could say was I'll call you in a couple of days..It really put my fears to going again.
You just should have heard her..bless her heart..I know I'll be fine and all will be ok..just wish I had not heard her voice :(
Marcelle

CIELO....I didnt want to talk to her..I knew she would be having a time of it..sorta..but before I knew what hit me he put her on the phone. She just sounded so terrible, you could hear it in her attempts to talk.
Scared me thinking its not gonna be long till my time comes..
I'll call her in a few days and see how she's coming along..I hope real good and full of encouragment..bless her heart.
Marcelle

I hope she's doing well, too. If she's feeling down, you can tell her to hang in there for a couple more weeks... it gets SO much better. It's just that those first weeks seem to take forever.

I've always bounced back quickly from major surgeries, injuries, childbirth... but this has taken a lot longer than I expected. I don't mean to scare you with that revelation, but hopefully knowing in advance might save you some anxiety if it goes slow for you, as well.

Every day I find myself thinking, "Is today ANY better than yesterday?" I'm so happy to say that I can FINALLY say, "Yes! Today was a better day!" :jump:

Keep in mind, too, that even the worst wasn't really that bad. There was nothing incapacitating or agonizing. I would describe it more as uncomfortable and frustrating.

I've mentioned the benefits I've seen before, but I'm still seeing new ones. The last couple days I've noticed a difference in my skin, even. My under-eye circles have been fading and my skin is softer and smoother - NOT something I was expecting. My chronic sinus problems have disappeared. I was getting up each morning with a painfully stiff neck and even that's stopped. *knocking on wood*. I can't positively say this is all in connection with having my crummy teeth extracted, but I can't think of anything else to attribute it to? My dentist did say the sinus problems were related to infection in my teeth, but I'll have to ask him about the neck thing tomorrow when I go back.

Yesterday I saw many of my friends and coworkers that I haven't seen since June. I got so many comments on how good I look that I was grinning from ear to ear - and didn't have to cover my mouth! I even allowed my photo to be taken, something that would not have occured during the last decade at least.

16 more days, girl! :XXLhug:

early afternoon CIELO....I always love hearing from you..sure makes me feel better, even Poppy was encouraging.
I have not called my cousin yet..will wait a tad longer in the day. I'll let you know how she's doing.
Girl if I get that much change..watch out hubby!!!! :giggle:
I know I worry to much and I know that mouth is such a sensitive area.
I asked Poppy and gonna ask you...how was swallowing?? Figure I don't wanna get choked taking an ibuprophen...the ones i have my doctor gave to me and they are 800mg and HUGH!!!!!

You will have to show your before's and after..I just hate to do it cause I hate what I see but I am sure the afters I'm gonna just love.
I can't wait to smile and not cover my mouth or keeping my lips tight so no teeth show.

You are such a sweetheart..thank you for being here.

Marcelle

Woooohoooooo!!! 15 more days now?? Don't worry, Celle! It's like Cielo says....each day it just gets better and better. I think I had one really bad day when my gums were hurting from the movement of the lower denture. But I got thru it and am experimenting with the adhesive and powder. Things are soooooo much better now just over 3 weeks since I got my new smile. I think about all the needless pain and fear I had gone through over the last ten years. NO REGRETS from this gal.....and it was so much easier than I imagined. So I AM counting down the days with you and am really excited for ya!

Sally

Back