• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How much do temporary crowns cost?

J

josiegrossie26

How much do temporary crowns cost? Also, what is the absolutely longest amount of time you can get by with a temporary crown? I am going to need 2 crowns but I can't really afford to get one let alone two right now so I just have 2 temporary crowns on.  

hi i didnt pay for temporary crowns only paid when the job was finished. do you mean how much are crowns? i had my last temp for a month

Well, I guess I always figured that when my dentist put on the temporary crowns, I would have to pay for them. But...do you only have to pay for the real crowns? Now, I know THOSE cost quite a bit of money!!

yeah the temporary crowns are included in the price of the permant ones so you only pay a total price for the finished work. dont know about nhs but i think crowns start from about £200 privately

here are the private costs in the UK (average )

Dental Crown Porcelain £392
Dental Crown Composite £418
Dental Crown £413
Dental Crown Gold £457

and heres the NHS cost:£194

Temporary crowns aren't really intended as a long term solution. They are made from methylmethacrylate resins generally and can wear, leak, fracture, or come out over time unless they are cemented with strong cement. I've seen temps last for almost a year, but that's really pushing it.

Some dentists opt for placing a stainless steel crown after crown preparation which might better, but they require good adaptation and a strong cement that seals the periphery of the crown well or else the cement tends to dissolve out leading to decay. These can last a long time, but again aren't meant as a permanent solution.

Depending on your dentist, they might opt to make a processed provisional crown. It's similar to a temporary crown, but usually it's made with a lot more care to finishing the margins exactly, polishing to a fine lustre, and processing in a pressure pot to increase strength. The cost would be a bit more considering the time to fabricate one.

I would say if you need something to last a long time in a pinch, probably a stainless steel crown might be a good option to consider.

sorry i notice your in the us. sorry cant help with cost as im in the uk

In the US, temporary crowns are included in the cost of the permanent ones. You would probably be charged at the time you recieve the temporary one's as those are used only while the permanent ones are made. While they can be quite costly, there are options such as having them made at a dental school, or investing in a discount dental plan. While the discount plan can save you quite a bit, it is best to make sure your dentist participates with one before investing in that.

Hope this helps

I just want to thank everyone who has replied to my question. I actually have another. I am not getting the permanent crowns for awhile (until I can afford them). So, even if I have the temporary crowns put on, will I still be charged for them immediately or just whenever I get the permanent ones put on? Also, does anyone have any actually prices for the temporary crowns? The reason I may seem so eager about this is because this Monday (the 5th), I am scheduled to get 1 more temporary crown and, if I have to pay right away for the temporary crown, it would be nice to know what to expect when the bill comes. My boyfriend and I actually pay for our dental work through Care Credit (if anyone knows what that is ) and I am in the process of getting on my boyfriend's insurance. Thanks again for all the help and I hope someone can answear the 2 questions I asked here.

That's probably something you should ask your dentist. Depending on your arrangement, the length of time waiting for the permanent crowns, and your dentist's plans, they could charge you something for the time spent. Usually the dentist cannot bill for a completed crown procedure until the actual permanent crown is cemented/bonded in place.

Back