• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New dentures

N

newdent

Hello all. I'm new here, and new to dentures also. I received my first upper denture this past Monday, and just today, i'm being told by friends and fam that my dentures are nice but too big. My father wears them and never had to use adhesive to keep them in. My dents will not stay in my mouth without adhesive. Im being told that they should just stay up without adhesive. When I got them, the first thing the dentist did was put adhesive on them without allowing me to try them w/o adhesive. My question is...are my dents too big? can they be adusted? can they be remade smaller so there will be no overbite(cause there is one)?
Thanx for any assistance.  :confused:

Very unhappy new denture wearer.

If they were immediate insertion dentures (i.e. teeth were extracted and the dentures fitted) then they may take a few days to settle in and not need fixative. If they weren't then they should stay up on their own. I assume you have an appt for a review of the dentures soon anyway? If not, make one as soon as possible.

I have an appointment this Monday. I fugured as much, from other people telling me the same as u. I had my top teeth removed about 4 months ago. I received the dentures last monday. Thanx 4 the reply. I really appreciate it.

I went to the dentist and he tried his best to make these ill-fitting dentures work, but ended up taking another impression using the bad dentures and I delivered them to the lab. I don't know what this means. Is it possible they're gonna make another denture, or just fix the old one?

It means that the denture "plate" has warped at some stage during the finishing process and that needs to be corrected. The lab will do this (usually overnight) and the denture will fit much better.

Good for you for going back. I'm in the process of getting used to my immediate denture as well. (Had my extractions yesterday)

Let us know how it goes for you. I'm still tender from all the needle points from novocaine, :( but I love the way my teeth look now!

Hi Guys. sorry for the delay in my reply. I went and had another impression made using the old denture, and received an much improved denture which fits me to a T. I am very happy with new teeth and look. No gagging. I can eat anything, including bitting an apple. It's great! Thanx for the support. I really appreciate it.