• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

teeth will be pulled dr wants flipper - I don't

S

Service4u414

What do I do. I am scheduled to have a few teeth pulled. I currently have a fixed bridge but one of the teeth supporting it has decayed and I only have 1 support. It's only a matter of time before I lose the bridge alltogether. My dentist is talking about putting in a flipper which would only be temporary. I know a removable item will not do for me and I know I want a fixed bridge. Can they do a temporary bridge instead of a flipper. Years ago when I orginally had my front teeth pulled I tried a partial and after 2 weeks I said I did not care what the cost was I had to have something permanent so I went and Had a fixed bridge. I do not want to make the same mistake again with a removable and then go to something fixed. Help- I only have 2 weeks to decide. :(

Hi Service,

I didn't want a flipper either, my dentist had 2 planned, one for an extracted top front tooth he was going to pull with 2 other teeth attached to make up for old lost teeth towards the back and one for a new bottom 1st molar extraction. I've had the 2 gaps for a long time, and the bottom tooth was just roots. Eventually I will be having 3 implants for the 1st molars and a permanent bridge for the one front tooth which will be across all my front teeth, so a 4 tooth bridge, 3 to anchor and 1 missing- I got a temporary bridge there instead. I didn't wnat anything I could or would have to remove leaving me with the gaping hole in front. Nor did I think I could tolerate all that plastic, upper and lower in my mouth. Why would I want a flipper to replace one molar on the bottom? I don't have anything left to chew with on the top right until the implants are in, but I'd rather deal with that.

rp

Last edited:
Please forgive my ignorance but what is a flipper?

a temporary partial denture