• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried and afraid

• Thread starter Midnight_Shadow18450
  • Start date
Midnight_Shadow18450

Midnight_Shadow18450

New and Terrified

Ok, well, i'm new here, and am terrified of Dental Treatment. I won't reveal my age, but I am under 20.

It started from a bad experience when I was smaller. Basically, I had to have an extraction, and the injection didn't work properly, so I felt everything. Ever since, anything involving extractions terrifies me. I can just about cope with the injection if I have Diazapam (Or however it is spelt), but when it comes to extractions, I feel sick, my heart races, I break out in a sweat and feel like crying and stuff. :cry:

I need to have some teeth removed because I need braces. :cry:However, I have now got to have it done under general Anaesthetic, because my phobia is so severe. I have tried having it done under heavy sedation, but apparently (I don't remember) I was screaming and stuff. Has anyone here had it done that way, and if so, would you mind spreading some light on it, as I am afraid of medical injections too?

Also, has anyone here had some form of hypnotherapy or anything like that, because my mum is considering that, but I don't like the thought of someone messing with my head, if you get what I mean? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: New and Terrified

Hello:

I can understand your wariness, based upon past experience. However, the past does not equal the future. Your fear is telling you things will be exactly the same as last time. This is called anticipatory anxiety. It paints very dark pictures of the future.

In regard to medical (IV injections). They are done with a small butterfly needle. You can be given an oral pre-anesthetic or some numbing cream at the site. This makes the IV painless.

Hypnotherapy is a great option. You do not give control of your mind to anyone and the do not mess with your mind. Hypnosis is a deep state of relaxation and distraction. It works very well for dental and other procedures. We use it in our office before surgery and people have great experiences with it. It is very safe and has no side effects. You are always in control and no one can force you to do anything you do not wish to do.

Hope this helps.:)

Hi, I had general anesthesia around two weeks ago. I was pretty nervous beforehand and it turned out to be a piece of cake. Needles scare me but when the nurse put the i/v in, I barely felt it even without numbing cream.:) I had another i.v 8-9 months ago when I had my wisdom teeth removed and again that i/v was completely painless. If you have any questions at all feel free to ask or p.m me if that is better. good luck:thumbsup:

Well, i've just been to the dentist. And it was not fun.

My wisdom tooth is coming out at a funny angle, and is rubbing on my cheek, but I have to wait until it's come out more before anything can be done (I had an x-ray).

And, this is the worst part... I have found out that on my bottom jaw I need three fillings. I really don't want to have any form of dental injection at the moment, as my cheek is swollen. Even though I have my special tablets, i'm still scared. When he suggested I have them done today, I just lost it, and burst into tears.

Now I am considering having hypnotherapy, but having a consultation first.

Thank you for your replies. I do feel slightly better, but as you can see from what i've written above, i'm a bit worried at the moment.

Now, this Thursday, I have an appointment with my orthodontist to discuss whether I should get braces or not (I don't want to, so i'm going to tell her this), and which teeth need to come out, and, to be honest, I really don't want to go, as she scares me and i'm embarrassed of past visits (She was taking a mould of my teeth and pressed on the gag reflex...).

Last edited:
Re: Worried + New Question

Ok, little update on the orthodontist situation.

Basically, we've decided that i'm not a good candidate for braces. But, I am going to have my wisdom teeth removed under general (i'm acctually glad about thsi as my wisdom teeth have caused me nothing but trouble), but i'm also going to have something else done.

On my bottom jaw, the wisdom teeth ahve not yet memerged, and on each side, there are these sort of lump thingies where the tooth is coming up. When I have them out, they are going to 'flatten them'. What does this involve, and is it painful at all (if anyone's had this done)?

Thanks x

P.s. Sorry about making another post when I already had one, I completely forgot since I was inactive for a while.

Back