• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dentist fears

F

fen10

I know you've probably had this question posted a million times... but I'm terrified of dentists. Really terrified, in the past I've thrown up before my appointment, not slept the night before etc etc. Basically, I haven't been to the dentist in a few years, I don't have any pain, but I know I'm going to need fillings. Firstly, honestly does it hurt? I've had teeth out before and the needle hurt like hell! Does anyone know of anyway to relax? Please don't tell me to make small talk to the dentist or discuss my fears.... just means I will be in that torture chamber for longer. I mean what's the point of talking to him/her... they stick a needle into your mouth, drill into your tooth... is there any point discussing what you already know? Also, how long do fillings generally take?

Massive thanks.

I had a tooth out last night and whilst it not a filling it still involved needles etc. I can tell that some postive news will reassure you so here goes.

Went in pretty anxious, told the dentist I had a problem and she did not bat an eyelid.

Sat down on the chair = No Pain
She reclined it a bit = NO Pain
I opened my mouth so she could see = No Pain, some shame.
Told me it had to come out= No pain, some panic.
Closed my eyes and she injected my gum = No Pain

Gave me another injection to make sure= No Pain, even pain the toothache had gone Bliss

After a wee while she told me that I might feel some pressure as she pushed on the tooth ( why do people use the term having a tooth pulled? it all pushing)= No Pain.

Thats it she said = No Pain.

So i went from Pain to no Pain

Cheers. It helps a wee bit.

When I was a young child I didn't mind the Dentist much, then he gave up and we got a new one. I can't remember what it was about him, but generally it was a horrible experience. Oh and then there was the Hygnist [satan's little helper] a whole word of pain and money. I also had braces. I have memories of sitting in the dentist's chair, as a 12 year old, in floods of tears as the dentist continue to say, 'no pain, no gain.' Basically, since the age of 10 to the age of 21 when I stopped going to the dentist, I can't remember a visit which didn't involve me being reduced to tears and I'm not a tearly person. My friends and family know me as fearless... I do a host of extreme sports... but dentists....

So, I haven't been to the dentist in 4 years and this is a new dentist. I don't think I want to tell them about my fears as it would probably make the visit longer... 2 minutes in the dentist's chairs is more than enough. Sorry, I'm probably not making a lot of sense. The appointment is on Thursday and I'm already getting really worked up about it, I don't even what to think what state I will be on Thursday afternoon.

Thanks.

You should tell the dentist, look at it this way... you let them know how you feel ( you must have realised this is nothing unusual by reading these forums)
If and only if..... the dentist isnt sympathetic too you then its easy.....

Go elsewhere, its up to you :) no-one can make you do anything you dont want to do. It may sound flippant but you can stand up at any time and walk, might be a bit sore if its halfway through but you can;D.

However if he or she understands and treats you at your pace then you have cracked it. (pardon the pun)

As for worrying try this....

The past is history (cant change it) Fact

The Future is Fantasy (Who knows what will happen)

So.... that leaves now the present...agree? live now and go for it

Fen10
Sounds like you have had some really bad uncaring dentists and hygienists. The key to overcoming your fear is to find one you like and trust who has painfree techniques..so basically you are looking for your 'dream dentist' i.e. one who doesn't cause you pain...and who is not indifferent to your pain....they do exist but sometimes take some finding..all dentists are not the same, some are very much more competent and caring than others.

As an adult you are in control and if you wish you can opt for sedation to help you relax even if only nitrous oxide.
Painfree injection info is here:

I'm the same way you are - I get so anxious about dentists that I feel physically sick and I virtually lose the ability to speak whenever I'm there.

To get my confidence up, my dentist gave me a filling on one of my molars, which involved taking a previous filling out and redoing it, since the old one was a little "ropey" as he called it (to this day I have no idea what that means :(). I can promise you that, if anything, the needle is the worst part. However, having said that, even that's not particularly painful - it's sort of like a sharp nip to the side of your mouth for a second or two, and then it's over and the numbness begins to take effect, normally after a minute or so.

The dentist would normally then ask if you have any feeling/whether your lips and tongue feel kind of thick and you tell them whether or not they are. If you're not, just you go ahead and tell them and they'll give you a few minutes more.

The filling itself, of course, by this stage won't hurt at all.You'll hear the whirring of the drill, which is the only sign you'll have that the dentist is even doing anything since you should be completely frozen. The only other thing you might feel is a slight vibration, but that's not painful. If you feel the slightest bit of discomfort, stick your hand up and let your dentist know.

The noises might trick you into thinking that the dentist might hurt you at any minute - that's what was running through my head when I was on that awful chair - but it was fine! (I never thought I'd say that about a dentist!)

When it comes to trying to relax, maybe something like an I-Pod or something like that could help? It would drown out the noises of the filling, at least, and you could lie back and close your eyes, and hopefully all of your focus would be on the song.

I changed dentists as well because my last one wasn't particularly caring and did nothing to address my fears, so as soon as I went to a new one I told him exactly how afraid being at the dentists made me feel - and it's good you've done the same thing! The dentist was then able to address my fears and he did a number of more minor work to my teeth before anything like a filling, or the extraction I've got pending (eep), and bear in mind that the dentist doesn't do anything on the first check up.

Good luck! You'll be grand.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your support. Its 4hrs 39 minutes until the appointment and well, I'm terrified. I can't concentrate or anything. Imagining pains in my teeth, keep staring at them. Terrified I'm going to need a tonne of work. Okay, sure I haven't been to the dentist in about 4 years, so the possiblity of me needing some work is quite high, but, and I know this question would be very hard without seeing my teeth etc, but seeing has I have no discolouration, or pain, what's the possiblity of me needing major work - root canel, extractions etc? Also, and this happens in the morning, and when its cold, my front teeth sometimes ache. Its nothing painful or anything, but I was wondering if this was a sign of anything.

Sorry for all the stupid questions, I really want to know what I have to prepare myself for.

So, the final hours at work dragged by, well more than usual and the train ride home was even more unbearable than usual. But, after many near chickening outs, I made it to the dentist. And surprisingly it wasn't too bad. Sure, its never going to be a nice experience and he didn't do anything major, but it wasn't bad. Poked around a bit... so far no cavities, just waiting for the x-rays, have gum disease [but I've been told I am far more prone to it than most]. Got a hygniest appointment booked to sort out the gum disease, which is apparently why my front teeth sometimes ache in the morning. So... all of tomorrow I'm going dreading my phone ringing with an 0208 code... please don't!

Didn't get a phone call from the dentist today, so looks like I'm lucky - no fittings. Interestingly, I spoke to my mum tonight and she said 'they were real s***s to you, you didn't deserve it, and they were pretty horrible everyone else. That hygnist was an utter****.' Okay, my mum like never swears, but at the same time it was nice know it wasn't all in my head. That the dentist was git, as was the hygnist.

My old dentist the receptionist was a moody cow, the dental nurse was inpaitant as was dentist. And the hygnist.. the less said about her the better. My new dentist, the receptionist is sweet, the dental nurse is very friendly and smiley and dentist was very understanding and gentle. I haven't met the hygnist, but if the rest of the staff are anything to go by then I might be okay.

Apologies for the spelling errors.

Back