• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

am completely alone, desperately need offline help

S

SB

I am writing this as a mid-twenties autistic person who is only somewhat-aware half of the time, but this is a moment I am recognizing I need help, and would like to kno how I could find it.

First, I haven't been to any dentist in years, but I might have to force myself soon, since due to a combination of bad genetics and mental deficiencies, my mouth has seemingly become unbearably infected or otherwise terminal. But one of the main issues that kept me from seeking dental help before, is that I cannot breathe with my mouth "wide open" (either thru my nose or that mouth, and even moreso I cannot keep my mouth "wide open" without me freaking out, and my tongue is very hyperactive in general as well) and I am also extremely *sensitive* to pain- I would need to be completely knocked out (unconscious, not awake, as close to brain-dead as possible) before anyone even touches my mouth, since novacaine or anything similar seems to only amplify pain & numbness, and the mere thought of dentist-y gloves (or anyone else's fingers in general) touching me and or my mouth, makes me convulse uncontrollably (while awake).

So my main question is.. Is there anyone who could provide me the set-up I need to get treatment? (ie, being completely knocked out before even being touched)

And second, I am completely alone offline. Amidst my various problems, I do manage to get by enough to be moderately "fulfilled" in what I "want out of life" (staying at my desk 24/7, just reading. I have no need for anything more than that- it is only here that I am fully at peace), buuut I am pretty much *crap* at taking care of myself physically and health-wise. I'm not "aware" of time passing, and I generally don't like to sleep (except I can do that perfectly fine- all I have to do is lay my head down / back anywhere and I'd be asleep within minutes, heh, for six to eight hours), and I don't like to eat, either.

Well, I never feel a need to, at least not from where you're supposed to (your stomach? etc); for me the only time I've ever "felt hungry" is when my mouth is craving something (my tongue is somewhat hyperactive- to keep it satiated at night when it's really restless, I will usually sleep with a stick or two of Trident). I can go a day or two (sometimes more) without food and feel no different. So I basically eat about once a day, on average (usually it's items like, grilled / baked chicken from a package and sometimes BagelBites, sometimes steamed broccoli / etc, sometimes PastaRoni, anything with mozzarella cheese, and my main snack vices are Junior Mints and anything Hershey, and that's it; for drinks, it's always waterwaterwater (I refill a 24oz bottle 5-8x/day), milk, and sometimes gingerale)..

But I am also very overweight, since I do not ever exercise and haven't for quite a while. I stopped at some point since it was too painful (altho I was accused of "just being lazy", that was far from the truth) but now of course, the pain is really only worse. Altho I've tried to make myself stick to a schedule to start up again, despite conflicting general advice (work thru the pain, pain means you should stop), but as always, time passes by without me ever noticing, and before I kno it, weeks, months, etc have passed and I've gotten nowhere, again.

And I am nowhere near as "smart" or "aware" as I sound from my typing, at least not on my own. This is also why I not only cannot do the things to keep myself healthy (eating / brushing / exercising regularly, etc), but I cannot even do the things I like to do (keeping up with reading, watching things, I cannot create things I want to create, even tho I get ideas, I lack the ability to *create* them, which is also a result of having no imagination either). So it's not just "laziness" but a culmination of various problems. I really wish someone would understand the difference without casting judgement.. there's nothing more unnerving to my emotional instability as someone looking down on me for things I cannot control (when I obviously would if I could, control them).

Lastly, no, I have do not have any family. Nor do I have any local friends. I get by from death benefits from my father (heart attack when I was little), which is barely enough to pay the rent & ultilies every month (altho I am in low-income housing, you kno how things are / can be) and food stamps (like I said, I mostly buy milk and chicken stuff, I don't really cook tho). I am completely on my own. While yes, I am somewhat of a hermit / ppl-phobe.. I am still a generally friendly person when around nice ppl. ;D But no matter how outgoing I try to be (putting myself in offline social situations, etc), I can never find someone who understands me. I always end up disconnected becuz ppl can't get past my physical faults.

So there you have it. How is a person who is this much cut off from the outside world, ever able to find help? Or am I just doomed?

Thank you for your time. - SB

hello SB, no you are not doomed at all, you can type, you can read, you can string a sentence together,

in fact i think you are a very bright person indeed:)

i just logged on to speak to another good person and i found you, so hang in there and i will be back and so will lots of others

speak soon
ronny.

Could you manage letting the dentist take just a quick look and maybe some x-rays and then do the rest with general anesthesia? At least that would be 100% possible.

GA is the best thing I could suggest for you.

Don't feel alone. I have a friend who is also in her twenties and autistic. Her encounter with the dentist was not horrible. She said she felt pain, but it didn't look like she was affected at all when she was recounting the memories. There was nothing traumatic about her encounter, and I believe you'll do as fine.

You're a very responsible and independent person given the situations you have. With those traits, I believe your dental success story will come anytime soon.

Best wishes!

you've taken such an important first step already by coming on here and unloading your thoughts, fears and hopes for the future! you should be proud of yourself for this first and foremost :)

i don't have any real specific advice for you, but i have to say that you are not doomed. whatever steps you chose from here on out, you are working towards a healthier you. you've come here looking for help, you can certainly look to the outside world for help. are you able to contact any dentist you have seen in the past? are there any support groups in your community (autism/spectrum related?) that would understand and be able to guide you towards good dental help? (i also fully agree with the general anesthesia!)

you have found a forum full of people that understand your fears and reservations when it comes to the dentist! we all have different stories and specifics, but we're here b/c of a common thread. we are here to try and help and coach and be the support you need to get you to the next step. please let us know how you're doing!

much peace, ally