Thread: Impressions for dentures?? Any advice?

Default Impressions for dentures?? Any advice?

I will be having impressions done for a full top denture and at the present time I have four front teeth that have crowns. They are old crowns, approx. 25 to 30 years old and I am afraid they will come off when the impressions are done. Does this happen often and if so, what does the dentist do to prevent this from happening?

Default Re: Impressions for dentures?? Any advice?

Any advice? Hopefully someone out there can relieve my apprehensions soon.

Sorry Gordon hasn't been on the last couple of days. I don't think you need worry about this. People have worried before whether loose teeth will be pulled out when they have impressions taken for dentures and I seem to remember the answer was no.
      I used to have impressions taken for orthodontic treatment years ago and do not remember it being unpleasant. The stuff used to taste minty back then -it may well be different/better now.
      Hope this helps a bit.
      It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless but we patients come unstuck because all dentists are not created equal

happydancyfeet Guest

Brit, i was one of the people that was petrified of loose teeth coming out while having impressions done. Of course that didnt happen. I voiced my fears to my dentist, who said....... if i was that worried, they could coat the loose teeth with vaseline, which would help when easing the impression off. I was STILL petrified tho, so she said, if the teeth came out with the impression, she would give me £100 lol I just had to believe her then.

I'm sure it will be fine Bella. Good luck.

Sorry, been on my holidays :-)

Teeth aren't that easy to extract unfortunately, there's no chance of them coming out in the impressions.
      --
      Despite appearances to the contrary, Gordon has been a qualified dentist for over thirty years.