Thread: Temp crown, nausea, horrible headache, and just plain sick

Question Temp crown, nausea, horrible headache, and just plain sick

I found a wonderful new dentist that is going to start repairing 10 years of damage from my previous dentist who apparently wasn't doing a very good job. I went in for a crown that had became loose and painful. The dentist prepared the tooth for a new crown but said it was a 50/50 chance that I would need a root canal (and the pain during the prep was pretty intense, but I cannot have epinephrine). He is on vacation for another week and a half, but I have been having bad pain since he did the temp. The pain radiates up my jaw and into my head. I have had a horrible pressure headache for the last few days and I don't know if it is a by-product of Tylenol and Advil, or if it is just the nerve that obviously needs a RC. The pain is wearing me down and I feel nauseous and sick. I have fibromyalgia, so my nerves and reactions to medical problems are always intensified as it is, so I tend to minimize how serious everything is. However, this time I am feeling so bad and I cannot wait another week and a half. I don't know if this is normal and simply needs the RC or if it sounds like an infection may be coursing through? I can't take Rx painkillers because they make me feel much like I feel right now already...sick. Please help. It is Christmas and I don't want to end up in the ER. Thank you.

Default Re: Temp crown, nausea, horrible headache, and just plain sick

Sounds like the nerve in the tooth is dying and a RCT is on the cards. Is there any emergency dental service in your area, antibiotics probably won't help much at this stage, so an ER visit probably won't be the best answer to your problem.

Default Re: Temp crown, nausea, horrible headache, and just plain sick

Thank you, Gordon. I am done with this pain. I am going to call my dentist' emergency line tomorrow and see what he suggests. I can't wait another week. I should've done it days ago.