• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Over grown gums over teeths and behind - Please help

M

Mr.Gum

Hi,

Can anyone help me what should I do with gum over growing over your teeth? I am very scared of losing my teeth. Is surgery the only option? if so how much would it cost can anyone help me tell me. I'm from Australia.

Can such things like this be cured or cut back to its normal shape?

I was searching the net and I found a site talking about (Oram Plus) it actually says it helps your teeth to grow healthy and all and kills gum disease. Do they really work?

Please let me know guys as I don't want to smile anymore with these gum over growing over teeth.

I've never had it done, but I know it's possible to have gum surgery to change a smile line.

But I'm not sure whether you are saying you have gum disease? I though gum disease was usually linked to receding gums. I've not heard of it being linked to overgrown gums. But maybe that's just something Ive not come across and one of the dentists can help with more information. Are your gums inflamed or bleeding at all? Or do you just not like the appearance?

Its inflamed and bleeding. Bleeds when I brush and floss. its actually covering my teeth. Before it start of a lump at the back of my teeth then just started to spread all along the front gum top and down. Also behind the teeth is also lumpy too. I don't know anything about gum or teeth or dentist stuff. I'm just worried what will happen if i don't get it fix.

Hi, I am not a dentist but your situation sounds a bit similar to what I had. Are your gums covering your teeth where they are basically not hugging them? If that's the case, it is a form of gum disease and that can get treated in a lot of ways depending on how far along it is. The first thing your dentist will suggest is a deep cleaning or scaling. This will clean your teeth below the gum line removing all bacteria and allowing a clean smooth surface. This then allows the gums to heal and shrink back to hug your teeth rather than semi-cover them.

Hi Olivacs,

Yes what you have describe is exactly whats happening to my teeth. It is covering over my teeth but its not holding or hugging it. It is slowly growing covering it. So your pretty sure its Gum Disease? When you said deep cleaning and scaling, how do we do that. I'm a newbie here.

So whats the best way of cleaning it and getting it back to shape without surgery?

Have yours healed up?

Well it sounds similar to what I had/have...but please don't quote me that it is a form of gum disease. Your best bet is to see the dentist for an assessment honestly. If they suggest scaling/deep cleaning it is really not to bad. They basically clean your teeth professionally and remove all the plaque. They used an ultrasonic device that pretty much just knocks the plaque off your teeth and above and below the gumline. It does not hurt but maybe just is a bit of discomfort. This will make your teeth feel so clean and great. Then the key would be at home maintenance of brushing 2 times a day and flossing at least once a day. By following this, your gums will stop bleeding and begin to reattach themselves tightly to the teeth.
I now have cleanings every 2-3 months for now to keep my gum disease in check. In fact I have one tomorrow... After just the first cleaning my teeth and gums had HUGE improvements.

hi,

I guess my option is to go to the dentist then.

Thnx for the tip though, appreciated. Oh and how much does it cost?

Actually it sounds like a reaction to some drugs to me, are you taking any anti-epileptic or anti-hypertensive meds like Phenytoin or Adalat?

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't take drugs, so nope. I guess I have to see the docs on Monday. its bigger than before and now Im ver scared. coz it looks ewwwww.

Hey Olivacs, when yours were growing all you dide was deep cleaning and scaling right? and after that it went back to normal? how far did it cover your teeth by? like just the line gaps or the whole top half way?

Hi there,
Now that you say it is growing i am almost wondering if it is something different. For me my gums were inflammed, bled when I brushed and covered maybe 1/3 of alot of each teeth. My biggest problem were on the bottom teeth where the gums were covering a big chunk of my teeth. It was almost like I could pull the gums aways from my teeth. Is this how yours are?
For me, the deep cleaning made a very large difference. Once all of the plaque and stuff is removed from below the gumline, it allows your gums to heal and return to how they should be.

Maybe if you posted a picture on here we could get a better idea of what is going on. Maybe when you go on Monday it will be a quick fix....

Is this happening throughout your mouth or more localized in one area?

Same Here

Hi the same thing is happpenung to me and I dont know how to stop it. It is painful, irritating, and nasty. I really need help. My orthodonist told me it was my gum was covering the plac and that is why it is happening. And it is about to cover my bracket...I DO NOT WANT SURGURY OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!!!!!!! SOMEBODY PLEASE...HELP!!!!!!!!!!

:shame::censored: Please Answer I am getting FRUSTRATED!:confused:

It reads like severe gingivitis. Might also have periodontitis but what you need is to have your teeth cleaned completely. In general some people can have what appears to be rather short squarish teeth which responds very well to crown legenthening but that is a different condition than what you are discribing

Back