• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction of a split molar

T

tennant_fan

I visited the dentist today, I have a swollen gum and sensitivity in one of my back molars, above it is a nice red spot on the gum!

The dentist took xrays and said I have split the molar, front to back, and it will have to come out, he cannot save it. Its the only tooth in my mouth with a filling and the picture he took shows the crack from the filling right across the tooth back to front. I guess the filling acted as a pressure point but I didnt want to say anything as it was his surgery that did the original filling.

Before he will extract the tooth he wants my gums to be in better health, so I've to see the hygienist for a few sessions over the next few months first.

He said he won't take the tooth out for 6 months and will not give me anything for the red spot - he said its doing the job of releasing the infection within the gum so I will have to live with this until the tooth is extracted. He will not give me anything to relieve this sore as its a 'natural release' for the infection. I assume I will have to take pain-killers when the swelling is bad and wait for the sore to release the infection periodically.

I did voice concern over a 6 month wait and he said he would review in 3 months. He also said to try not and damage the tooth any more than I have so that it stays in 'one piece' and not break apart. ( I grind my teeth and I think it was either that or teeth chattering in this very cold weather that caused this problem). The swelling and red sore/spot appeared 2 weeks ago during Christmas/New Year.

Does this sound right?
Its a private dentist - no NHS around this location.
I don't think he's doing this to chalk up the bill.

I'm worried that I've months of on/off pain and swelling to deal with while I wait. I'm not happy about having to have a tooth extracted - quite worried about it, as I doubt a molar extraction is 'easy' and the dentist understands that I'm a nervious patient and wants to take it slowly.

But I'm also concerned about 'caring' for this red sore/spot and keeping everything clean and preventing more injury and pain.

Last edited:
Is your gum infected or is the tooth abscessed and now a fistula has developed to release the infection? The crack would allow bacteria to enter the pulp of the tooth and an abscess could develop. If it's an abscessed tooth, although I'm no dentist, just someone who's had a lot of them, either you get a root canal or the tooth is extracted, time won't heal it. I'd get another opinion.

rp

I think that as the tooth is split there's infection in the tooth.
The dentist said that its best to pull the tooth. Having rct will not fix the split in the tooth. I'm just concerned about the 'fistula' and having one of these for quite some time as with other posts - it feels really strange and needs draining every so often - yuk.

Then never heard of waiting, always had it pulled straight away.

Back