• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Absolutely Terrified

C

CoastieWife

I have to go in tomorrow at 11am to have a tooth fixed. I chipped my molar over the weekend and now there is a hole and it's swollen. I have not been to a dentist since I was 17 (I'm 24 now). I had many BAD experiences and I am terrified to the point of shaking, vomiting and panic attacks. The only reason I am even going is because I'm pregnant and I don't want an infection to hurt the baby.

I am seriously scared, I've already cried about 5 times. My teeth are REALLY bad as well. The dentist is going to have a heart attack when she sees them. I know it's childish, but I am absolutely terrified. My husband is taking me to make sure I go, that's how bad I am.

Any advice?

This would probably be better in "support", but anyways, the best advice I can give is to be totally honest with the dentist, with your fears. Good Luck! :)

Your teeth are absolutely not as bad as you think!! Everyone goes in expecting the worst case scenario, thinking that their dentist has never seen a mouth so bad. They have seen the worst of the worst!

I went from age 11 to 21 without seeing a dentist, thinking that I would surely need multiple root canals and some extractions. Well guess what? Other than my wisdom teeth (and one molar thanks to problems from wisdom teeth) I didn't need any other extractions. I didn't have a single root canal. I needed 4 fillings done and an old one replaced. My gums were in "excellent shape". Easy peasy! Since then (3 years) I haven't needed any other dental work other than my routine (6 month) cleanings.

Let the staff know of your anxiety the minute you get there. Do not let them force you into anything. Take the visit one step at a time!

Edit: I just realized I may have responded too late. How did it go?

Just wondering how it went? :hidesbehindsofa: