• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help/encouragement

alleyp

alleyp

Hi,

I'm new!

I am in so much pain with my teeth, my whole face is hurting. I don't have NHS dentist, but my mum has persuaded my old dentist to see me. Now I just need to call to make an appointment...

Tried to call twice, got voicemail both times. I've had to get back to my desk at work, and now I'm shaking, having trouble breathing, I'm a short step away from a panic attack - it's only that I'm sitting at my desk that's stopping me losing control.

Any tips guys?

x:hidesbehindsofa:

Update:

My boss called for me, after seeing the state i'm in... 08:30 tomorrow :cry:

I can only wish you all the best for your appointment. You have to think to yourself how much better you will feel without toothache. The first priority of the dentist will be to relieve your pain and all it will take is a tiny scratch and then he will see what can be done to repair your teeth and sort out the problem.

The dentist will NOT hurt you or do anything you are not happy with. Your welfare will be his primary concern. It is amazing what can be done to save your teeth and things may not be as bad as you think.

You have nothing to worry about. Relax and stay calm. Don't let your imagination tell you what may or may not happen.

Good luck!

I hope it goes well.....thinking of you:hug2:

Best of luck - hope you feel better soon. Graham, thank you - I have a an appointment tomorrow and I am scared, I think a filling is necessary. Your reassurance helped a lot. :)

Cheryl

Hi Ally. I too will be thinking of you for tomorrow. That's so lovely of your boss to call for you. Making that phone call can be really hard - I always struggle to make them and haven't always been able to (my partner has done it for me, or I've sent an email). You'll feel so much better once you've been and you're no longer in pain, the dentist is there to help you. All the best :)

Thanks all for your support.

Went in this morning to see the dentist, bit of a back story here but she is the same dentist who put me off going in the first place. I wouldn't have been seeing her if I wasn't desperate, and my mum assured me that she had much improved since my last visit a few years ago. On my last visit she did an amalgam filling at the front (top right canine) despite reassuring me that it would be a white one. Plus she was rubbish with the LA... felt everything!

So the only thing making me go in was the idea that I would be pain free... Fat chance. Abosultely nothing, no personality, no reassurance. "Sit here. Going to just check your teeth and gums. *prod* Come out here. Hold this in your mouth and take xray. Stay still. Come back in here. You have holes here here... blah blah blah LECTURE"

And then tells me that I'll need to come back in a week to see a colleague (thank god its not her again!) and discuss the treatment. She did mention that as I need 6 smaller fillings and 2 roots/extractions that sedation may be an option. Also told me that if I was nervous I should go and see my GP to get Valium before next week - which I can't do - I'm having enough time off as it is without having to find time for a GP appointment.

I just feel totally fobbed off and uncared for. Was in there for half an hour and she spoke to me maybe twice, and once was for the "eat less sugar" lecture... Still in a lot of pain with my entire jaw aching, woke up last night to find I was clenching really tight and the pain from that hasn't eased, even after 2 Cocodamol.

I'm going to stop ranting now and get back to work...:shame:

Last edited:
Back