• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cannot find a dentist! Help!

S

scared0902

I have seen four dentists in my area over the last six months. My goal is to find a sedation dentist.

Dentist A said that sedation was too expensive for me and blew me off.

I then went to Dentist B who felt like nitrous would be fine. I don't feel any effects from the nitrous.

I went to Dentist C for a consulation, but I was put off by the lack of infection control (gloved hands washed?).

Dentist D feels like I am "not scared enough" for sedation. I wasn't scared at the consultation, but I do get very scared during fillings and gag often and need to take a break. I will need a root canal in the next couple of months and would really like to find a dentist I trust who can do sedation, as I know controlling the canal is vital and me gagging and needing drinks and breaks may not be helpful.

I feel like a failure because I can't find a dentist, and now I'm second-guessing every decision. I feel like it's my fault, like I'm defective because I can't locate a dentist. No one else seems to struggle like I do. I know it's partly a trust issue and partly an anxiety issue (I am currently seeing a great therapist, and we are making small improvements each week), but I'm so frustrated with myself (and them).

I have a couple more consulations in the coming weeks, but maybe I'm asking for too much? I keep waiting to be really impressed with a dentist, but maybe I have unrealistic expectations? I don't know if I should keep looking or settle for the best of who I've seen.

Maybe I'm just looking for validation that I am not being needy or whiny (ha ha, which makes me needy, I guess). Thanks in advance. I know no one would understand like the people on here ;)

Hi! I know how you feel, finding a dentist you can trust is half the battle. Many people on here have found THE dentist and was relieved about the rest of their worries somewhat. I called 1-800-dentist and they were helpful about giving names and histories but the one I chose was primarily just because he accepted my insurance. thats it. He was nice enough but the cleanliness and thin partitions between chairs was a little disturbing(could hear drills and moans) but when you have little choice ya get over it and get 'er done.;D

Try giving them a call, maybe you can find someone who can suit your needs. Good luck!:grouphug:

I called two more places and set up consulations. I hope one of them works out!

For me, knowing that I trust my dentist and that he/she recognizes that I need sedation and/or just acknowledges my desires would go a long way in helping me overcome my fear. I don't like being dismissed, even if they think it's helpful.

I think a couple succesful appointments with no gagging would also help, but I haven't been able to get my anxiety low enough to make that happen. I'd really like to try lower and lower levels of sedation as I get more comfortable, but I need to find the dentist first!

Thanks for replying!

Back