• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bone Fragments in Gums - No extraction near site

W

wizard124

My information - 35M/smoker w/ no prior major dental issues.
Approximately a month ago I found a bone fragment protruding out of my right inner bottom jaw. I only noticed it because it was scratching against my tongue. I removed it and noticed that now my jaw bone was exposed and it was very painful. I was a bit alarmed because of the pain involved, but also because I have never had a tooth extracted from that area so why are there fragments coming out of the gum.
I went to my dentist who referred me to an oral surgeon. The oral surgeon said this happens with older women who are suffering from osteoporosis or with people who are on certain medications. I explained that I am on heavy doses of prednisone approximately once a month and he said that shouldn't have caused this. He gave me prescriptions for a topical steroid and an oral rinse and told me to come back in a week for a follow up. Over the next 2 weeks I suffered from H1N1 and a double ear infection so I never made it back to the oral surgeon the following week. I also noticed that the wound wasn't really healing which may have been because my immune system was shot because of all of my recent illnesses. This past Saturday while still recuperating from the ear infections, another bone fragment made its way through my gums just in front of the previously effected area. Although it relieved a lot of the pain it worried me and I saw the oral surgeon again. He told me this was normal b/c I may have had an infection and explained the whole osteoporosis thing again. I am a 35 year old male with no bone issues or signs of osteoporosis, I'm not sure why he needs to tell me this. He once again prescribed an oral rinse and asked me to come back in 2 weeks. He explained that this is not something to worry about. BTW, the site of the infection is located near my lymph nodes.

So here are my questions:

Why is my jaw bone infected and why are the fragments of bone being expelled?

Are there underlying issues which I should be concerned about? Why is my oral surgeon not concerned?

Sorry for the long post but I am a bit scared and want to make sure I provide all the info.

Thank you in advance
Dave

Have you ever taken a class of drugs called bisphosphonates?

Are you sure that these are bits of bone, not perhaps the roots of a baby tooth that may have been left behind some time ago? They can mysteriously resurface years after the baby tooth was extracted.

The best person to answer your questions would be your oral surgeon, since he's in full possession of the facts in your case. Have you tried putting the questions to him in writing? I don't mean like a formal complaint, maybe an e-mail?

I have never taken bisphosphonates.

As far as the fragments, I actually brought them to the oral surgeon in a bag and he quickly said they were bone w/o even looking in or at the bag. I thought he would at least take a quick look but he didn't seem concerned.

I also just remembered that I had molars extracted in that area when I was about 4 or 5. I guess I never gave it any thought since it was over 30 years ago.

As for my current oral surgeon I think he is a bit of a quack. I wish I knew this prior to him removing one of my wisdom teeth. Either way I am going to seek a second opinion.

Thanks for your help, you put my mind somewhat at ease.

Much appreciated
Dave

I reckon that it's bits of the baby teeth roots then. They can have very slender thin roots and it's easy for a few little bits to be left behind during extractions, you can't really go digging about for them either at the time in case you damage the second tooth under the gums.

Good news on the bisphosphonates, that would give me some cause for concern, even 'way over here :)

Back