• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Total Terror

J

jade66

I had a tooth pulled and got a ver rapid heartbeat and got very shaky and nervous..the dentist said it was just a side effect of the shot to numb and it wouod go away it did, but for the rest of the day I felt out of focus and nervous...now the big problem....i have to get dentures 9 teeth pulled and am so scared that with all the more shots i will die in the chair!!!! he does not do laughing gas....i donotwant to change dentists and go through all the new pateint stuff besides he takes payments which al lot will not do...i have a lotof infection and loose teeth so i have no choice but to get dentures..i have IBS and anxiety panic disorder...the other numbing shot has a sulfa in it and i am allergic to sulfa that is why he did not use that one...i am so scared i am making myself sick.....any ideas???? i feel like i am not going to survive this.

Hi jade66

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

What you experienced with the LA is very common. It can range from fainting (syncope) or low blood pressure and heart rate changes, convulsions with dizziness (vasovagal). These pass quickly and do not cause harm.

According to all the pharmacology I have read people that are allergic to sulfa based drugs (antibiotics) do not have any reactions to the compounds in LA which are preservative in nature. He might have chosen to give you a non-epi based local (Carbocaine) that is used with pregnant women or those that are a bit sensitive to epi.

The feeling poorly the rest of the day sounds like an after effect of the anxiety and fear, again very common, but not related to the LA.

Do not worry about complications from LA during extractions. You will be just fine, no worries. The anxiety and fear will cause your more discomfort and sick feelings than the local.

You can discuss this in detail with your dentist, which can be very helpful. You might also ask for a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication like Ativan to calm you down before the appointment. This is a very common request and would help take the edge off of things.

Blessings :)

Thank you for the hope that I might just be able to do this with al little help..i have to get impressions on the 25th so i will relate all my fears to the dentist and see what happens>>>>>>>

PS i love the picture of the beautiful dog..is it yours???? i have a beautiful yellow lab who is the love of my life!!!!

Hi jade66:

Great. It also helps to write out a list of your concerns before you go to the appointment as it is hard to remember when you are there. I am sure they will take good care of you.

That is my German Shepherd, Kimba. She is an amazing girl and the love of our life. She came from Germany and is very well trained.

Blessings :)

Back