• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Poll: Sharing your journal

Who do you share your journal with?

• No one outside of the forum, its an anonymous outlet for me

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Only a select few close friends or relatives

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I'm an open book, everyone knows I post here

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
R

RP

After a conversation last night with my daughter who lives 4 hours away from me, I realized she has no idea that I'm dental phobic. I guess that's a good thing as I tried to never displace and transfer my fear to my children. It must have worked, she started out as a pre-dental major in college. So now she's an adult, all of 23 and I'm considering having her read my journal to help her understand and was curious as to what others have done.

RP

I've only ever shown my other half to explain why I'm constantly on the lappy, but I've only let him read the first couple of posts... The more factual stuff. so I guess he's never read it to realise the depth of my fear, just the tangible stuff, because I don't think he'd get it, he's very stoic.

Ah well... I'd say I'm alone in this, but that's why I've got all out you DFCers to get me through! ;D

I don't think I would ever share my journal - it's a very private thing for me and I only feel able to open up this way with people I don't know, which may sound strange to some of you but perhaps not to others? For those of you that are more open than me though it's a great way to try to get across a small part of your fear to someone who may not otherwise understand.

My family (son and husband) know about my fear of the dentist. Nobody knows about my journal. I feel only fellow phobics can appreciate my rantings and ravings in my journal and that is how it is going to stay!!!
Jen

Everybody knows i fear the dentist.. but they don't know the extent which i do. i'm a very "private" sort of person.. never let people see me upset etc. family / friends / dentist just think im like everyone else and dislike going.. which is fair enough, i dont know.. id rather people didnt know?:)

Back