• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New Dentures don't fit!!!

C

Crazyjod

After years of having really bad teeth I decided to "bite the bullet" and get Dentures. I have complete upper and lower Dentures now. (I Got them done the last week of December) I love the top ones and they fit awesome, however the bottom ones are a different story. When I put them in they do not fit properly, they are way to loose and will not stay in my mouth. I manage the local Bowling Center and am constantly dealing with the public. I don't mind so much just wearing the top ones, (which is what I've been doing for about the last 3 weeks) but would really like to be able to wear the bottom ones as well, not to mention it really limits my food options....

Any Advice?

Lower dentures are usually the hardest to get used to.
The upper one sticks to the roof of the mouth, however the lower one has to be balanced between the tongue and the cheeks.
my advice would be to keep going with it and give it some time. buy some adhesive- and if you still find it too hard to wear in public- just make sure that it is in all the time at home.
the only way to get used to it is if it is in! it may take a while- maybe even a month or two.
if there is a problem with the fit- the dentist should take a look to see if there is anything that could be done to help. have you asked for a review?
good luck!
Dr Mike

Last edited:
Dr. Mike is right (of course) regarding the lower denture taking longer to get used to. I would take that statement a step further and say that you have to learn HOW to wear lower dentures. The upper holds via suction, something nearly impossible to get considering the contours of the lower mouth and jaw.

Think of the difference between wearing sneakers and flip-flops. With sneakers, you tie them on and go... that's your upper. Flip-flops can take some education of the foot to keep the shoe in place. The way you have to hold your toes and basically "grip" with each step. That's how the lower denture is. Some people have an easier time of it than others. Some give up and go without, others keep struggling until they're successful. Still others, like me, struggle for a while and then opt for implants. :) I do wear my dentures (top and bottom) all day, every day, taking them out at night. It took me well over a month to get used to them. I have a journal here with all the dates and details if you're interested.

Adhesives help, but they won't work as well unless you train your mouth to hold the denture. Of course, you have to make sure your denture fits as well as possible before expecting too much out of it, so as Dr. Mike suggested, I'd have your dentist take a look asap.

If your dentist determines your fit is adequate, give yourself more time. It gets very frustrating, especially when all you want to do is eat REAL food, but it does get better in time. Try doing exercises with your tongue, too. I used the large individually-wrapped Lifesaver mints to roll back and forth in my mouth to get my cheeks used to holding the denture independently from my tongue. It sounds silly, but it helped. Before that, I'd had trouble with my tongue popping my denture out when I ate, coughed, talked, etc. :rolleyes:

Time is most important, along with patience. :)

excellent post cielo!
I like the sneakers vs flipflop comparrison and will use that with patients in the future!
regards
dr mike

Why thank you! :)

Do whatever you have to to get at least two implants in then when the attachments are placed the denture can be relined all you will be much much happier