• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

do loose teeth have to be removed?

E

elaine

question: does your teeth have to be loose from gum problems before they
need to be extracted if there aren't any other problems other than needing
a deep cleaning?

Re: loose teeth

Hi Elaine, Im sorry I dont really understand the question! Do you mean do teeth need to be loose for an extraction to be done?

sorry if I didn't explain correctly. Does a person's gum disease have to be bad enough to loosen your teeth before extractions become necessary or could they
still be tight and still need extraction because of the disease?

Thanks Elaine! I just quickly googled and it came up with this,

Tooth extraction is done when gum disease has loosened or severely damaged a tooth.

An extraction is necessary when gum disease has damaged a tooth so badly that there is no other way to prevent the infection from spreading and damaging nearby teeth and bones.Removing a tooth prevents gum disease from spreading and damaging nearby teeth and bones.

If you delay having a damaged tooth removed, your gum disease can spread and cause you to lose more teeth.

Not sure if this helps or not but thought it was worth a try for you!

Where did you find that? I have some issues with it...

Gum disease only loosens teeth, it causes no other kind of damage.
The next paragraph is nonsense. Removing teeth will not prevent further damage. Periodontal disease is a plaque induced autoimmune disease, it's not actually an infection as such and so removing the "source" of the infection is pointless.

Gordon, thanks for answering my question. So if your teeth are not loose they
can still be saved? I've read where even slightly loose teeth can firm back up
with scaling/root plaining. Please give any insight you may have.

Elaine

Gordon said:
Where did you find that? I have some issues with it...

Gum disease only loosens teeth, it causes no other kind of damage.
The next paragraph is nonsense. Removing teeth will not prevent further damage. Periodontal disease is a plaque induced autoimmune disease, it's not actually an infection as such and so removing the "source" of the infection is pointless.

Sorry about that, i just typed into google and it came up with that, Sorry if it was wrong info, Like I said I didnt know if it would help, I guess it didnt, maybe I will leave the dentistry questions for you dentists!

Nat no problem. You were just trying to help.

Gordon another question: if gum disease only loosens teeth then how does
gum recession occur if not caused from plaque build up becoming gum
disease?

Thanks
Elaine :grouphug:

Nat, no problem and no offence meant. I think it just goes to prove you can't trust everything you find on Google ;D

The other stuff. Yes, if teeth are slightly loose then you can sometimes see a bit of firming after plaque control. It's also possible to splint the loose ones to firmer teeth to extend their lifespan, it's also possible just to continue with slightly loose teeth, given much improved plaque control then they can continue slightly loose for ever.
Gum recession is multifactorial (oooh, big word for this time at the weekend!).

Basically the plaque stimulates an autoimmune reaction which damages the supporting structures, the bone round the teeth gets removed and heads up towards the root end, the gum may stick around the bone and you get recession or else it stays around the neck of the tooth and you get a pocket...