• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

This looks like a good place to start

A

ardwolf

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum on and off for several months. But now I think it's time I bring things to the next step. So here I am, I haven't been to a dentist in over a decade. To make matters worse, I haven't taken very good care of my teeth in that time frame, often skipping brushing due to lack of time, and other poor oral practices.

I'm 30 years old, and should have had my wisdom teeth out before my last visit with the dentist. Now all four are badly decayed. One of them to the point of being broken down to the gum line. I have a small mouth, which makes it hard to get the tooth brush back there. One of my other wisdom teeth has recently started to bother be, with a mild pain that comes and goes. I also have some sever crowding of my lower front teeth, as well as an assortment of other gum related issues.

To make matters worse, I'm also a business owner of a one man operation. I don't make a lot of money from this, as I'm just starting out. Having down time while going through major dental procedures could mean lost (desperately needed) revenue.

I'm sitting here with fears of pain, fear of the amount of work that is going to be done, and a fear of knowing what is going on in my mouth, while the dentist is working. I also have a fear of how to pay for this, when some months, I don't even make enough money to pay my bills I have now.

That last fear may have been taken care of. Thanks to the state of Massachusetts, I now have health insurance that has full dental coverage, that I'm guaranteed to have until at least June. And the fear of pain from the procedures are starting to be overshadowed by a fear of the pain if I don't have them done.

I think I've found a good dentist who is covered by my insurance (there aren't many!). Now I just need to get up the courage to pick up the phone, and schedule an appointment. I'm hoping I can get in for just a consultation and xray right now, meet the dentist, and hopefully put my fears at rest.

Thanks for giving me a place where I can vent about my problems, and for being a group who understands where I'm coming from.

Wolf

Hello Wolf,

WELCOME here! and yahooo! to taking a big step in sharing and posting where you are in your journey with us.

YES, the first appointment is usually where you say hello and get to know the dentist and they take xrays and let you know what's going on. this can be where a lot of people have anxiety. the fear of the unknown. they fear "the news" is going to be this horrifying news that they won't be able to bear. but it is a Fear (False Evidence Appearing Real) ie. it is a mind made illusion that it's going to be horrifying to find out. but once you've made it through the appointment... it's like ... "OMG, I did it! that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be"

So, taking things little step by little step in the forward direction is a act of courage. And it sounds like you've got your next step already defined. to call the office and make an appointment. We're right here with you, supporting you on your journey!

Dr. Shirley

Hi, Wolf. Welcome from me, too.

Dr. Shirley is right... that first appointment can be terrifying, but I'm sure you've seem how many others on the forum have been relieved to find the news wasn't as bad as they were expecting?

I couldn't help but notice how you've lined all your fears up before you: pain, amount of work, expense, time off from your business, etc. I get the impression that you're well organized and think things through. You can put those skills to work and tackle each of those worries, one at a time, and whittle that list down to nothing.

Picking up the phone is your next step, like you said. It'll be a big one to cross off that list, but it'll feel SO good. It's been a couple days, have you done that yet? :)

Again, as Dr. Shirley said, we're behind you all the way.
:grouphug:

Back