• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Only just about keeping it together - so upset

F

fraidykat

Hi - sorry i've not logged on in a while - have had head in the sand.

I got told last year I had periodontal disease and I ran out of money to continue treatment over Christmas etc.

Here is my previous post:

I didn't really like the dentist I was with so what with moving house and not going back to the other one I moved to a dentist in Ealing. (actually - I'd totally recommend them - guy was understanding and nice - but you can't sugar coat my news)

I was close to tears whole time but they were nice too x-rays and stuff. My news is just awful though. He's referring me to hospital, possible surgery. I've got bad bone loss... 'extensive' he said. From all i've read (and i'm too afraid to re-look) this means I'll not be suitable for implants (even if I could afford them which I can't) so am really scared i'm going to lose all my teeth and have dentures at AGE 28. I don't smoke, hardly drink, have always cleaned my teeth and since the appointment last year i've bought a sonic toothbrush (£90!!) use it twice a day religiously...

I just feel like I can't win. I did the brave thing, I saw the new dentist, I could've coped with multiple root canal but this... its not cope-able with.

I feel disgusting, like i'm rotting from the inside... have told my mum recently which means i've now got to tell her about this one. She's so funny about teeth - so always up for pointing out how bad people's teeth are on TV and stuff, something i've only noticed since this all happened.

Has anyone had periodontal gum disease that sounds as bad as mine?

I know this forum is about teeth but everyone else on here seems to have partners and i'm single - how the hell am I going to attract anyone after this??? - i'm 28 and feel like my life is over.

Sorry this is such a pity party but i've no-one else to talk to and am crying my eyes out. I'm sure things will seem better later on - at least I hope so.

FraidyK

Fraidy,

Firstly, try to stop feeling so disgusted by yourself and your teeth. The last thing my rather lovely new dentist told me, after the consultation where we decided I'd need full upper dentures and partial bottoms, was that I should stop beating myself up about how bad my teeth had got. According to him, recent research has proven that some of us are far more prone to having bad teeth than others...something to do with having or producing more bacteria in our mouths than most people. I'm sure there's a hell of a lot I could have done differently over the years to save my teeth, but it seems the odds were never particularly stacked in my favour? (I don't know how much of this is true and how much of it was him trying to make me feel better about myself?)

I'm 38 and a little part of me feels very similar to you...I'm far too young to have dentures. But a bigger part of me is wondering why the Heck I didn't shake/ignore the stigma years ago and start working on getting a healthy mouth, free of pain and full of sparkly new teeth years ago!

I'm only just over a week into having immediate upper dentures. So far everything is going a lot smoother than I ever dared to hope for. A couple of my friends cried with excitement when I told them I was getting dentures...they know just how much pain I was in and they assure me that my new ones look fab!

I've still only managed to find the time to read a couple of the journals on here,but I've just finished reading "Can'twait to smile"s...I highly reccomend you do the same.She looks absolutely fantastic after her work and I think is a very similar age to you.

Also,I was chatting to a friend at school last week and she was telling me how a friend of hers met,engaged AND married before his wife ever found out he wore dentures!;)
IF that's what you need to have done,then I'm sure you'll look and feel fantastic after it...and only those you choose to tell need to know,so forget the "Granny stigma".

All the best with your appointment.....Oh...and although I'm new myself:welcome:.We've found a great place!:)

Hi fraidykat,

We've not spoken before. I'm 28 too and have agressive peridontal disease:cry: I also have 50% bone loss and have been referred to a dental hospital. I've had a deep cleaning done at the hospital but i'm just waiting for an appointment to go back to see if there is any improvement.:thumbsup: If not i'm not sure whats going to happen.

Do you know how deep your peridontal pockets are? Mine ranged from 1 to 9 :cry:. It sounds like we're going through the same thing hun, so if you ever want to talk feel free.

hey fraidyk..
i think i know how you feel . i am 26, 27 next month...found this website about five years ago and have been getting dental work done ever so slowly since.
what gets me thru alot of my dental treatment, thru all the depressing nights i can't sleep, and anxiety moments throught the day..is thinking about what it will feel like when it is all done. when i can smile Without having to think about it first.
i have ugly front teeth and molars that crumble just looking at them. i think about all the food i will be able to enjoy when it is all done. try to keep the goal in focus, not the path along the way too much.
"I feel disgusting, like i'm rotting from the inside..."
i know. i know.
you have to remember you are not your teeth. when it gets to you, try to think about what you like about your appearance..pretty eyes..nice hair..good skin..stuff like that. i know it sounds frivolous, but it works for me.
i am married..and even tho i have somebody, i think my low self esteem, and worry from my teeth affects things sometimes..and the financial burden. so at least when you do get this over with, you will be able to meet a guy and not have that be on the table.
from what i read on here, most everybody Loves their false teeth once they get used to them.
part of my phobia involves going to the wrong dentist, so i have been to lots of them in the last several years. every once in a while i had one that made me feel bad about my oral health..but most others..and the best dentists..just have compassion.
not sure if any of this helps, and feel free to pm if you want.
best wishes.

Hi there,
After 12 years of not visiting the dentist, I bit the bullet and went this past March. I was diagnosed with periodontal disease. I have had to lose 6 front bottom teeth but still have the rest. I was given an immediate partial as replacement. I am on deep cleaning treatments every 2-3 months to keep the plaque from forming to where it would attack the bone. I do have bone loss in a a few areas but I believe if you find the right dentist and keep up with the treatment of further bone loss you will be just fine.
You can stop further loss but it will never be cured. Follow the directions your dentist gives you and you will be able to preserve your natural teeth for quite some time.
Many hugs being sent to you!

Hi, Fraidy. It's good to see you back. I remember you posting last summer right around the time I was having my last 12 teeth extracted for new dentures. Congrats for getting back in to a dentist and moving forward.

I'm sorry you're going through this painful and emotional roller coaster. I wouldn't wish it on anybody, but it's not the end of the world, either. You're not disgusting, and deep down you know that. You take care of your teeth, but have a health issue. What's disgusting about that? :hug2:

I suggest you try to put off panicking until you know what you're dealing with. Worrying that you *might* lose your teeth is pointless and detrimental. You said from what you read that you won't be a candidate for implants due to bone loss? Quit reading! :p

I'd thought the same thing, and the dentist even told me a year ago that I probably wouldn't be able to support implants due to the damage done by infection, but we could possibly try the minis. My first pan film after extractions (months later) showed that my bone had improved immensely and I now sport a pair of full-sized shiny new titanium screws. :jump:My dentist said my healing and bone quality were remarkable.

I know it's easier said, but try not to worry so much this early in the game. More often than not, things aren't as bad as we imagine they could be, and we've spent all that time worrying unecessarily.

:grouphug:

I got told last year I had periodontal disease and I ran out of money to continue treatment over Christmas etc.

I've got bad bone loss... 'extensive' he said. From all i've read (and i'm too afraid to re-look) this means I'll not be suitable for implants (even if I could afford them which I can't) so am really scared i'm going to lose all my teeth and have dentures at AGE 28.

I feel disgusting, like i'm rotting from the inside...
Has anyone had periodontal gum disease that sounds as bad as mine?

FraidyKat,

I know exactly what you are going through. I also have periodontal disease, my pockets are from 4-10mm! And I too am single. I have already lost 2 lower front teeth and have 2 others that are on the verge. I also have bone loss and may not be suitable for implants which I want desperately. (I won't find out for sure for another 2 weeks). (you can read my posts under "I'm so ashamed" on the this forum). I can't imagine having to have dentures either but what has gotten me thru so far is not only the wonderful people and support I found on this site but not wanting to live my life hiding from people, hiding my smile and not being able to eat certain foods for the rest of my life.

Just think about how your life will be changed for the better. And these days, dentures look so much like real teeth that no one has to know they aren't real unless you tell them. If someone you meet doesn't like the fact that you have dentures then that person is not the right one for you. Trust me you're still young, you have plenty of time to find the right one. I'm 43 and have been keeping myself from dating for years! I know now that once I feel confident about my smile (whether it be from dentures or implants or whatever), I will no longer hide and will be out there looking for Mr. Right! ;D

Hang in there....read the posts from others on this site, you'll see that you're not alone. We are all here for you!:XXLhug: And as Stress Doc will surely tell you, fear is future based. Don't keep yourself worried and afraid over something that you don't know 100% about yet. Take one step at a time and remember, it can only get better from here!

Last edited:
Back