• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Trouble with dentures

• Thread starter absolutely petrified
  • Start date
A

absolutely petrified

Hi everyone. I had all my teeth out in hospital on Saturday. I have dissolvable stitches. I have dentures to wear but having difficulty putting them in. Does anyone know how long it'll take me to get used to them? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi.:)
I'm exactly a week ahead of you,so can't offer advice on anything longterm but can assure you that this time last week I was really struggling to take them out and put them back in for cleaning.I think the swelling reaches a peak about 48 hours after extraction and that combined with the sore spots made it really tender.(I think it was the Tuesday night that I sobbed to my hubbie that I couldn't bear to take them out again to clean before bed...I'd read that some dentists advise you don't take them out at all for the first week,so we decided I'd be OK to miss just the one rinse)Almost overnight I felt an amount of relief.By Thursday I was constantly in and out off the bathroom taking them out and having a rinse,it's amazing what a couple of days healing can do!;)
Have you been back to the dentist to check on sore spots?He/she can adjust your dentures,smooth off edges that are rubbing on your gums.I had to see mine on the Monday after and I've also made an appontment for Friday as I have a new sore...although it feels nothing like as tender as the first ones.
So...in brief,if you heal anything like me,then it should start getting easier by the day!

Hi Soup Dragon. Thanks for replying. Did you have stitches too? I have tried to put teeth in but everywhere feels tender. should i just persevere and try to keep them in? Thank you

I only had stitches on one side and that does seem to be the side that has given me the most discomfort.But even that is almost unnoticeable now.From what I've heard you definately need to try and keep them in...I think until the swelling has definately stopped,otherwise you'll struggle real bad to get them in until the swelling has gone.Fine if you don't need to go out,or not bothered,but for me having to do the school run,I opted for a few seconds of extreme tenderness getting them in above walking around without teeth!
Sorry,have you been back to the dentist yet?The adjustments that mine made did help considerably.Also he'll be able to check that you don't have any infection...although if it's just sore and not painful you sound fine.Still,I'd make an appointment anyway.

Hi, AP and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I had all my teeth extracted and got full upper and lower dentures last summer. (I'm beginning to wonder just how many times I've repeated that on this forum!) I didn't have sutures for the extractions, but got a few two weeks ago when I got my implants. Comparing the two isn't quite apples to apples, but I did notice that going without sutures was more uncomfortable pain-wise than having sutures. Just like if you get a bad cut... if you get stitches, it feels better, right?

BUT... the sutures themselves offer their own brand of discomfort. At least in my experience. Those pokey little devils under the denture annoyed the heck out of me. The tissue did heal faster, however.

Several of us on the forum have noticed the wide variation of instructions from dentist to dentist (or OS to OS). Some want the dentures left in 24/7 while others are more lenient and leave it up to the patient. My own dentist pretty much left it up to me to do whatever I was comfortable with.

I can't even remember offhand how many days I left mine in. It's in my journal here on the forum. I do remember the idea of taking them out and then struggling to get them back in was much worse than what I actually encountered. I was nauseous just thinking about it. My dentist was out of the state from a day or two after my extractions for a couple weeks, so I was on my own. This was of my own choice, not something he decided. I didn't want to wait for him to get back from vacation, so I opted to tough it out. I had a number where I could reach him by phone, and his assistant called me to check up.

Anyway, there is a ton of information about dentures and the healing process in the journals. There are several of us that have given our own detailed accounts and shared advice all along the way. Read through them, and feel free to ask any questions you might have. We're a pretty open bunch and don't mind sharing. :)

Back