• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV sedation

S

stressed

Hey guys....just wondering would ye be able to tell me some of yer experiences with IV sedation im supposed to be geting it doen at the end of the week have to get alot of work done are u in pain after? can ya feel anything? sorry im really nervous

I can tell you that IV is an awesome experiance. It has really worked wonders for me, being a hopeless extraction-phobic.

Basically sit in the chair, have a small cannula (type of plastic needle thingy) which is put in the back of the hand (sometimes inside the elbow), which is a very, very tiny little pinch, count to ten...

...then suddenly find yourself in the next room, with everything done! No feelings, memory or anything.

Its as simple as that. Go home and sleep it off.

If you're having a tooth out, it may ache and throb a little afterwards when the LA wears off, just pop a few painkillers and take it easy.

You'll do fine. IV rocks!!

sounds too good to be true ha hopefully il get through thursday thanks:)

Oh, but it really is that awesome! Graham Dee is right. I had IV sedation last summer and it was fabulous. I have deep veins so the OS put the IV in the crook of my right arm as I have a good vein there. I watched him inject the IV with the meds and it was goodnight Gracie!
I heard someone calling my name and I was sitting in the recovery area and it was done. I went home an hour later with my husband.
I am having IV sedation again on Monday so the OS can extract a back molar which is in bad shape. And knowing I will feel nothing and remember nothing helps my anxiety about this.

Hi Stressed!

First of all let me say that I was exactly the same as you before I had my big procedure done in January of this year. I had an appointment to have 9 extractions (3 of which were wisdom teeth!), a filling and immediate dentures fitted in one appointment under IV sedation. :scared:

I was totally petrified when I went into the dentist room and sat in the chair. The dentist and his nurse were talking to me and trying to put me at ease. They took my blood pressure and put a clip on my finger which monitored the oxygen in my blood. The dentist then inserted the cannula in my right arm while the dental nurse stood on the left talking to me so I hardly even noticed what the dentist was doing!!:) He started to put some clear liquid through the cannula and I just felt a little woozy! I remember telling the dental nurse that I felt like I had had a stiff drink :hic::sleepyjuice: and that was it!!!!

The next thing I knew I was getting out of the car back at home!!! I thought I must have slept the whole journey but my lovely husband who was looking after me assures me I was chatting the whole way home, telling him the same story 3 times over!!!! :giggle: I can honestly say it was fabulous! I do not remember ANYTHING at all about the treatment I had and after a little sleep on the sofa I felt as right as rain! I would recommend it to anyone and if I had to have it again I would seriously not even loose a wink of sleep over it!!! If I had known how good it was i would have had my treatment years ago!

Hope this helps and wishing you lots of luck with your treatment! :thumbsup:

I totally agree with all the other posts on here - IV sedation is wonderful. I put off having my wisdom teeth out for more than ten years, and finally did it last year with IV sedation, and I don't remember a thing. I didn't even realise the procedure had happened. No recollection of needles, noises, or any other sensation. Totally pain and trauma free. It was kind of like having missing time. Took a few days to come to terms with that idea, but it was totally worth it! And the only after effect was feeling very sleepy that night, and slightly flat/drowsy the next day. No headache or feeling sick or anything along those lines. Brilliant, brilliant stuff. I would recommend it to anyone!

Back