• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bone/root fragments?

J

jeanc200358

Former Member
I just noticed today in the region of where my cuspid/first biscupid was, buccal side, that I can feel a little teeniny sharp piece of (bone? leftover root tip?) coming through the gum. It hurts a bit, as it's cutting into my gum. Will this work itself out, or is this part of the "bony ridge" that's coming through my gums as they heal and shrink? Or something else altogether?

thanks!

Hi :) Many times when teeth are extracted, you will have boney fracments called bone spiculas. They are like bone slivers. They normally work thier way out, however, if they cause alot of discomfort the dentist can remove them for you.

I had all of my top teeth and some of the bottom extracted. I have had about five of them, two of which I had the dentist remove for me, as they were causing discomfort and the others worked thier way out on thier own.

Hope this helps :)

Hi.... I had these too when i had an impacted wisdom removal, and for quite a considerable time afterwards, the last one was a few months down the line. I had one removed the rest worked their own way out. It feels pretty freaky, but they do come out. If you do have problems with it though I would go and ask to have them cleared for you, it can take a while otherwise. x

Hi I no this is old thread but how long does it take to come out? If dentist needs to remove them isit painful do they need to have local anaesthetic

Hi I no this is old thread but how long does it take to come out? If dentist needs to remove them isit painful do they need to have local anaesthetic

I had a tiny bone fragment come out on it's own maybe about a month or so after I had my wisdom tooth extracted. There was tiny bit of blood and no pain really, just a pinch like that of a paper cut/splinter.

I didn't go to the dentist to get it reshaped. But I'm sure the dentist would need to administer some kind of local anaesthetic for it. Maybe give your dentist a call to enquire?

Back