• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

25 and scared of losing my teeth plzzzzz help

B

babyclayton

Hi Im 25 years old and had a baby 7 months ago, Im not going to lie but I have never really looked after my teeth well, meaning regular visits to the dentist due to a horrible experience when I was younger, I had to be put to sleep to have many teeth taken out in preperation for a brace, the pain afterwards was unbearable, since then I did not visit the dentist, needless to say I did not get my brace. Since my pregnancy my teeth seemed to have felt lose and sensitive, My bottom teeth are quite crowded, and recently I got an abcess and had to see an emergency dentist, I had a tooth taken out and thats fine. As I am on NHS I dont have my next appointment till March 17th for a checkup, but evertime I brush my teeth now I notice and can feel bits of my bottom front teeth breaking away at the root, as far as I can see its 2 teeth, as they are crowded it is difficult to tell. Now I am terrified that im going to lose them, or have to have them taken out as they seem to just be decaying bit by bit, I can't afford a lot but I dont want to be left with no teeth at the bottom front at 25 years old. I have low confidence as it is and this would knock me completely, what is going to happen? whats my options on NHS???? I dont think they can be repaired. I also have noticed my gums receding. It is only at the bottom, my top one's seem to be fine (hopefully) I'm terrified!! Im going to need a lot of work, how long is it going to take, and if im going to be left with no teeth what can I do?????? Please any help would be fantastic. Thanks x x x

Hi BC...firstly congratulations on becoming a Mummy!:)
Pregnancy seemed to have a bit of a bad effect on my teeth also...not sure if it's to do with the pregnancy hormones or the fact I craved those little white sugar stick sweets?

If you're having problems now,then I'd call the dentists and tell them you really can't wait til March 17th.You're still entitled to free dentistry(one year after you give birth)so it would make sense to get it sorted.I think even if you get the treatment started within that year and it can be done in a three month period,it doesn't matter if those three months go over the one year mark.

Until you've actually seen the dentist try not to worry that you'll be losing ALL your teeth...it could be that you don't lose any.What feels like a major hole to your tongue could just be a small repair in the eyes of the dentist.If there are a couple that need to come out then ask about crowns...they fit like teeth,look like teeth and work like teeth!;)......no dentist is going to make you walk out of his surgery with no front teeth.:XXLhug:

Just try to get yourself an appointment ASAP,you don't want to miss out on the One Year Free!
Easier said than done I know,but try not to worry about the 'what ifs' until you've had that appointment and know what needs to be done. xxx

HI,

I'm not a dentist but if there are bits breaking away from the root area it sounds more likely to be heavy tartar or calculus build up coming off especially since your gums are receeding with it. Crowding makes them difficult to clean. A good deep clean may be all you need. Until you can get to the dentist make sure you pay special attention to the area when brushing and flossing.

rho

Thankyou so much for your replies, Im a bit calmer now, ha ha. I just dont want 2 have no teeth. thankyou very much for your help. Much appreciated x x x

Hi RP. I googled tartar images to see what it looked like, and it was exactly as you explained, so I went out and bought a dentist kit. :) Had all kinds of tools in it, lol. So spent this evening scraping, and I no longer have this build up of disgustingness (it wasnt very nice:redface:). I do brush and floss my teeth but this area is harder to clean due to being very over crowded its just 4 teeth but all huddled together, lol. Anyway I got my little mirror and checked each tooth front and back and I cant see any more build up. So I am extremely happy for your reply, I can go back to the dentist a little less worried what I thought was my teeth falling out was a problem I think I have cleared a little, although i know I will need more work. And I also feel a lot fresher. So just wanted to say a HUGE thanks :respect:x x x x x x

You're very welcome, that's what we are all here for, but remember what you see above the gumline is probably below it too and needs removed by a hygienist or dentist, as much as I hate getting my teeth cleaned it is important.

Rp

I understand, I will definately not be missing any appointments now, silly me for being such a wimp. I am prob going to need a brace also, which I would be happy with to have a better smile, I think its going to take a while tho:cry: and be very expensive as I think it is only classed as cosmetic if your over a certain age doesnt it??? Does a full clean hurt? Sorry for all the questions I really appreciate your help x

Back