• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified IV

L

Lauren-x

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out or anything...Ive been terrified of the Dentist for a long time now and even sitting in the chair makes me wanna scream! its probably too late for anyone to read this now, but tomorrow im going to the dental hospital for IV Sedation to have some teeth out..
Im 15 and also have a phobia of needles which doesnt help...
I was just wondering,
what will happen,
will i feel anything?,
How long will it take to fully come around?,
And how much pain will i be in after everything is done?

Sorry for saying this but im hoping someone will read this and mabye help?
Thanks!
Lauren x

Hello, welcome to this forum. It's such a help to those of us who have problems with dental fear. Even thinking about the dentist makes me go lightheaded with fright so I know how you feel. I've had a tooth out with IV sedation (intravenous valium, I think) once and apart from the needle it was an amazing experience. I felt really happy and though I was conscious of what was happening there was no pain and I was floating on a cloud, feeling incredibly benevolent towards the dentist. It was so weird, this feeling of everything being well in the world while my tooth was being wrenched from my head! Needles hurt less if you don't look, and sometimes the dentist can rub something on your gums to numb them first, which helps a lot. But they really don't hurt very much these days. I'm afraid it was a few years ago and I can't remember the answer to your other questions precisely, but I don't remember any of that being an ordeal, though I seem to remember the euphoric feeling went very quickly. I'm sure people will give you a more practical response tomorrow!

Lauren and welcome to the forum.

I too have a needle phobia, but i can honestly say that having the iv inserted feels like less than a scratch. You may be given the option of having the canular inserted into the back of your hand or inside the crook of the elbow, I always opt for the latter. I have had a few appts for treatment under iv .... my last one was to have 8 teeth removed and I never felt a thing nor remembered anything about it.
After Iv sedation you may feel alert as soon as the treatment is finished, but it does take a good few hours to get back to normal. You should be given some advice about after care by your dentist, and you could also have a look here...... Healing after tooth extraction

You shouldnt be in any pain afterwards, but I would suggest taking painkillers before the anaesthetic wears off.

Good luck tomorrow :grouphug:

Hey,
Thanks for the help! And for the welcomes! :)
I think ive gotta have 8 back teeth out tomorrow. So i hope its not that bad! Reading this forum has helped me alot! :)
Thanks!
Lauren

It was so weird, this feeling of everything being well in the world while my tooth was being wrenched from my head! Needles hurt less if you don't look, and sometimes the dentist can rub something on your gums to numb them first, which helps a lot.

Sorry, but I just have to jump in here and say...........teeth are NOT WRENCHED FROM YOUR HEAD!!!! They are gently removed! Ask any of the dentists here on the the other board!

Hey,
Thanks for the help! And for the welcomes! :)
I think ive gotta have 8 back teeth out tomorrow. So i hope its not that bad! Reading this forum has helped me alot! :)
Thanks!
Lauren
It wont be bad at all lauren. You'll be fine!:XXLhug:

Any other questions i can help with, please dont hesitate to ask, either by posting on here or by PM

It was so weird, this feeling of everything being well in the world while my tooth was being wrenched from my head! Needles hurt less if you don't look, and sometimes the dentist can rub something on your gums to numb them first, which helps a lot.

Sorry, but I just have to jump in here and say...........teeth are NOT WRENCHED FROM YOUR HEAD!!!! They are gently removed! Ask any of the dentists here on the the other board!

I'm sorry, I was just trying to contrast the feeling I was experiencing with the reality of what what happening to my body. There was this massive juxtaposition. I was utterly freaked out at the notion of losing the tooth and it was bizarre that the drugs made me cease to care. I apologise if I was being a little insensitive, as I was trying to reassure the poster that it's not necessary to be scared of IV sedation.

I doubt ill get any sleep tonight though so ill probably be falling asleep tomorrow haha :) I think i might tell the dentist about this site :)

Thanks for clarifying your reply scaredycat. Hope you didnt take offence to my reply. I was just a bit worried that your choice of words may have freaked the original poster out even more than she is. I know, if I had read something like that years ago when i started my journey to dental health..I would have been ready to cancel my appt to have teeth removed. We have to be sooooooooooo careful how we word things eh?

Thanks for clarifying your reply scaredycat. Hope you didnt take offence to my reply. I was just a bit worried that your choice of words may have freaked the original poster out even more than she is. I know, if I had read something like that years ago when i started my journey to dental health..I would have been ready to cancel my appt to have teeth removed. We have to be sooooooooooo careful how we word things eh?

OK, point taken, I'll cancel that application to join the Samaritans!

Lauren :XXLhug:

I know exactly how your feeling, Im also having IV sedation tomorrow for first time and am just like you, only difference is I'm way to many years older than you and having 23 teeth out....Can't given my experience but just to let you know your not alone, will be thinking of you. After tomorrow we can both come on here and say it was great was nothing to worry about :XXLhug:

Good luck also tomorrow Julie, I will be waiting to hear that it has all gone great for both of you.

thanks for all of the help guys! :)
My appt. has been changed from 11AM to 9AM apparently so i have no idea why that would be, but i guess it gets it out of the way :)
Do you think they would remove the 8 teeth at the same time? They told me and my mum that it would only take about 1hour to do or less! :)

thanks again! :)

Maybe they had a cancellation lauren. less time for you to fret un needlessly over things

I don't know for sure, but would think they will take them all out at same time, my dentist is 90% certain he can get all 23 of mine out in one go, he didn't say how long it would take though. The earlier the better really, not so much time to drive yourself mad worrying, so far the thought of everything has been 100 times worse than the reality for me. I'm sure both of us will be absolutely fine and will both be on here later tomorrow or friday saying hey it was great

:grouphug:

It does help to know that someone else on this forum has an appt on the same day. When i had my first appts, I think there was 3 of us here going through the same thing.....it made it a bit easier to cope with?. And it IS good to post afterwards

hey Julie! :)
Yeah it is good to know someone else on here has a appt. on the same day :)
hope it goes well for you! :)

Yes it is good, don't feel so alone, and there is only about half hour between our appointments, so we will be there together :XXLhug:
I,m sure it will go good for us both

Back