• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Teeth just seem to be crumbling away, My story

N

neet109

I've been going to the dentist all my life (on and off), had a bad experience when I was pregnant with my first daughter I had a filling that went wrong and the side of my face swelled up and had to have a bad extraction with a new dentist that scared me to death, I never went back again.
A few years later I went to another dentist regularly and everything seemed ok.
For the past 5 yrs though I have been suffering from depression and anxiety so a visit to the dentist was that last thing on my mind I'd avoid it at all costs.

I eventually plucked up the courage to see a dentist again last yr and he referred me to a clinic get sedated on the 20th nov because of my anxiety to have an extraction that was hard and ended up having stitches and 9 fillings, it cost me £745 to have this work done, I thought it was a lot to pay but it would sort out my teeth and we could go on from there. On the 7th Dec, I had to go back to the clinic because of the pain I was having from the extraction and stitches, he took the stitches out and cleaned it with this solution before packing it with something ad sending me on my way, I didn’t feel any connection with this dentist, I remember just before I was sedated he was lecturing me on my teeth and saying if I'd looked after them better then I would not have to resort to this, I knew that, I didn’t need to hear it.I felt like I'd been butchered when I got home, fillings were rough, like they were just grouted without wiping it off (does that make sense)
My own dentist is fabulous and I trust him completely, 2 weeks down the line I went back to see him and he wasn’t happy with the work the sedation clinic had done, there were some fillings not done, other fillings were ready to come out, I was very upset, so he called the clinic and they said they would re do the work.
To be honest I didn’t want the same dentist to do the work so asked if another one could do it, they couldn’t guarantee me who would do the work, I spoke to my dentist about my concerns of having the same dentist work on my mouth again and I decided to have my proper dentist make right what was done wrong.

On the 16th dec one of the clinics fillings came out of the back tooth and I went back to see my dentist on the 21st He put in a temp filling in one of the front teeth that the clinic didn’t do and planned to make right another filling that the clinic had done wrong and not even "finished it" I think that’s what he said, when they drill it to make it tooth shaped?, he left the one the filling had just come out of he said there was still some there so would be ok till next visit.

Next visit was not until the 10th but during that gap another tooth crumbled away at the side then the filling came out by the 8th Id suffered with terrible pain in this filing-less back tooth I had to visit him again, he said it was down to the pulp no wonder I was in pain so he temp filled it and I waited till the 10th. Well this tooth had already had a filling in the top and the side (which had fell out) I asked him if it would be better to be extracted and he said yes, so while he was waiting for my mouth to numb up he did my bill the extraction cost less than the filling, I don’t think that would have been the case if he had done the bill after as it took an hour to get all of that tooth out, it just crumbled inside my gum, there was a lot of drilling and pushing and pulling, and stitches again, my mouth is still sore now :( I will admit though he didn’t hurt me once, just pressure, like I said I have full confidence in him (which is sad because my next appointment is his last day at the surgery, he’s leaving, I cannot believe my luck sometimes, the one time I find someone I can trust and feel confident and comfortable with and I lose him :cry: ).
Anyway my next appointment is on the 26th as I have said and again tonight another tooth has just crumbled away, one that has fillings in it already, I’m sitting here crying because I think I’m going to be better off having dentures, with them all crumbling I’m going to be left with none soon, already its getting hard to chew stuff, on my bottom right if he has to extract this broken one from tonight I will have 4 teeth left on that side, and they are at the front :(.
In a way I would be happy to get dentures (is that weird) just to think of no more pain, no more worrying about hearing my teeth crack just from eating a sausage (that’s what happened tonight),no more sensitive teeth just from breathing wont mention about cold things :cry:
But the on the other hand there’s the cost, my husband works so I have to pay for my dentistry, admittedly it’s a NHS dentist but still we have to pay some,plus all that work I had done in the sedation clinic I dont see any of that money back (might look into this at the citizens advice) then there’s the stigma of dentures too, the things that come into my head are I wouldn’t want to be toothless for any amount of time, what if I fall asleep downstairs and my teeth drop like you see on you’ve been framed , I don’t want my husband seeing me asleep with just gums I’m only 38 I would feel old, I can’t afford implants or bridges (not sure on the right words for the right treatments) so I think it would have to be dentures, I’m also worried about actually asking my dentist how I go about getting them, its almost like admitting to myself. I guess I’m going to have to get over these fears.Then I think about the no more pain and it makes me want dentures, can getting used to them and the stigma be any worse than constant dental pain :confused:

I’m sorry I’ve rambled on, I hope this is in the right thread too, thank you for reading

Neet x

I'm sorry you're having such an awful time and just hope that you can get your mouth sorted out some time soon. I can understand how upsetting it must be to have had to find all that money but not have the outcome you were hoping for and should have got. The dentures versus constant pain and misery from teeth is such a difficult issue, it's so hard to know when you've reached the point that it would be better to go for dentures. I hope that your new dentist will be able to give you some good advice, and whatever you end up choosing, life will improve compared with how you're feeling at the moment.

Thank you sooo much for replying, just to know someone listened is a comfort.
I actually sent my dentist an email today about my concerns and how I felt etc, and I managed to grab a cancelled appiontment for tomorrow morning too, maybe he will do something with this other broken tooth.
Thank you again for responding, it means a lot :)
Neet x

I hope tomorrow goes well for you. It is so nice to get a response to posts on this forum, I feel just the same, because it's hard to talk to people about these worries on a day to day basis. They think you're being neurotic/vain/boring etc, or at least you fear they will, so it is really good to share concerns with people who've had similar fears and experiences without having to feel you're being judged.

you're certainly not alone :)

i hope your appt goes well tomorrow, please keep is ipdated :)

Well my dentist recieved my email, I spoke to him this morning during my appiontment and he was great explaining that my front teeth are still good and do I really want to get rid of all of them as there is not really a better replacement for real teeth, he told me the reason my teeth keep breaking is because I have some many missing teeth from extractions the ones left need to work extra hard, and have more pressure onto them.
That would be about right because the tooth that broke is the only molar on my bottom right and I was eating that side because of the extraction on the bottom left I've just had done.So he suggested we work to fill in those gaps instead of full dentures, which Im really happy about, the only other hurdle we need to get past now is its his last day on the 26th and its unethincal for him to tell me where hes going next, so I need to find out the new place he is going to, he is the only person I can trust to do my work so I will follow him anywhere.
Anyway hes booked me another appiontment for the 22nd for 50 mins to do some work, not sure what hes gonna do yet but I have 2 temp filling in (one from today with that broken tooth ) and a tooth that needs correcting from the clinic that did it wrong so maybe hes gonna work on them and then Ive got another 40 minute appiontment on friday 26th (need to get as much work in as i can before he leaves) no telling when my next appiontment with him will be.
I feel quite confident with what hes suggested altough im not sure what work is involved, maybe when i find out thats when i'll freak out, but until then will just work on what I know .
Neet x

Hi Neet, like you many of my teeth have crumbled and broken one after the other so I know exactly how you feel. I've had temporary coverings put on them for now to stop them getting any worse. I'm not sure yet how they can be restored but my dentist assures me they are not lost yet.

I hope you can follow your dentist to his new practice, when you find someone you are happy with you should be able to stick with them. I really don't understand why he can't tell you but I guess some pencil-pusher some where made a rule without thinking of the impact.

Poor you this does seem reallly traumatic one thing after the other. I feel like setting up a facebook group 'I hate my teeth they are costing me serious amounts of money!'

I also find that when you go through something like this I get paranoid and think that any little twinge is another problem. I've just been told I need my gaps filled with dentures whereas another dentist said not to, what to do!

cheers

Helgarr

Thanx Helgarr and Robotguy
I think the reason he cant say where hes going is because of him poaching patients from that surgery (thats how it is with hairdressers when they leave a salon).

I totally agree with you Helgarr about any little twinge and I'm worrying about whats coming next. I only have to think of my teeth and i get pain all along my jaw, think thats psycological tho.

Im going to follow my dentists advice and get some gaps filled, Ive tried it without any (having gaps from must be oh 10 or so years ago) and my teeth have no support so im gonna try it with some now, cant wait to see what happens on monday, although i dont think hes gonna do any pf that work till Im with him at the new place.

Neet x

Hi Neet

Please let me know how it goes, i'm having a denture impression next week prior to an etraction, i've never had dentues before!

We are both in same boat let's hope it's a smooth sailing.

have a good weekend

Cheers

Helgarr

Had 3 fillings today 1.5 hrs in the chair again but at least I dont have to go fri now AND he didnt charge me.

Ive got a niggly pain now where one of the fillings was done it was at the front and it feels like someones twiddling with the nerve,hope thats normal, maybe just my teeth settling down cos they been poked and prodded? ive took some paramol and some ubuprofen as I have to go out to a meeting in 15 minutes, and if theres one thing that makes me moody and thats dental pain :cry:.

The reason he said he wouldnt charge me is because he thinks these will have to be rct and crowned but because he's leaving he wouldnt be able to finish the treatment, he said they could last 2/5 yrs theres no telling.

Anyway off to my meeting now, hope these meds kick in :)
Neet x

Back