• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Afraid of the Dentist but have an appointment

D

dbond1278

I've not been to the dentist since I was at least 16 or 17 and I am 31 years old now. I have a dentist appointment the 9th of March coming up and I am petrified.

I have several teeth that are broken right down to the gum so I have a feeling they are going to have to cut those out, because I don't think they will be able to pull them out. I can break them eating something that doesn't have to be a solid. If I remember correctly I broke one eating a tortilla chip.

Anyway I was berated by the last dentist I went to and that's the reason I'm dreading that one. Not only that but I have a low pain tolerance when it comes to my teeth. I'm hoping I can convince them to do the laughing gas but I don't know if they will or not. I'm afraid to talk to the receptionist about everything because I'm afraid of what they might think. If they can't put me at ease or anything I don't think I can have anything done. I don't know if I can even afford to have it fixed. The office that my appointment is at doesn't give you any kind of payment arrangements unless you have perfect credit, and mine is very poor due to mistakes in the past.

I've got one tooth now that scrapes my cheek and kills me when I try to talk or eat. I can't even eat on either side of my mouth because the pressure shoots pain through my mouth if I do. And one of the front teeth is starting to decay at the top so I know it's only a matter of time before it breaks out.

:welcome:

Don't worry! :giggle: Easier said I know, but you will absolutely be fine, you've taken a big first step in making this appointment, and you're clearly determined to keep it.

The first thing is please don't assume the worst, or at least try not to! For one thing, cracked molars are generally easier to take out, so I very much doubt you'll be looking at them having to cut your mouth to extract. That said, you may not need as much work done as you think. Your fear is giving you worst case scenarios, but your fear isn't a dentist! Only the dentist can tell you what needs doing to sort out your mouth.

As for payments - is there anywhere else that may be more suited to your financial needs? By all means, go and meet this dentist, they may be a perfect fit for you, but if they aren't then don't go through just because you feel you have to.
:XXLhug:

I too have rear molars broken, I also thought they would have to be removed, but once my dentist had a look she said that they could all be saved. I was stunned, I was worring about something that didn't need to happen. I should have gone years ago to the dentist before they got this bad but I honestly thought there was no point, plus I didn't want the lecture.

You have made a huge step in making the appointment so well done!

Another big step is admitting you have a fear and comming here asking for support, thats something we can do for you. We all know how you feel, we are all going through the same steps you are to get the treatment we want. Remember this is for you, to make you feel good, don't worry about what the dentist wants, you can be in control and it can be how you want it to be.

:grouphug:

Back