• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum lump cyst or something worse?

S

scaredycat54

I've just been to the dentist and he says he's not sure what a rubbery lump on my gum (above a top tooth) is. He's taken an X ray and says it's likely to be a blocked saliva gland or a cyst (and just possibly the beginnings of an abscess though he can't see any sign of this). He didn't say it absolutely couldn't be something very nasty indeed, though unlikely, but said I need to keep an eye on it. That's made it a bit anxious. Why do I have to keep an eye on it? I'm in my fifties and have had so many X rays in my life I do worry about something really incredibly bad. What are the chances and how would I know?

You need to keep an eye on it im guessing because it could be an abscess? if it was something.. believe me you'd know!! the pain is a huge giveaway! (i have a lump above my top tooth which is an abscess!!)

The chances of it being bad are extremely low, you need to keep an eye on it because if it's a cyst it'll possibly start growing. Still not a big deal though, but that would mean having to have it removed surgically.

The chances of it being bad are extremely low, you need to keep an eye on it because if it's a cyst it'll possibly start growing. Still not a big deal though, but that would mean having to have it removed surgically.

Gordon is right, and I would suggest a panorex just to be on the safe side, unless it has already been done. watch it over the next few months.

You need to keep an eye on it im guessing because it could be an abscess? if it was something.. believe me you'd know!! the pain is a huge giveaway! (i have a lump above my top tooth which is an abscess!!)

Thank you for this. I did get a lot of pain before Christmas that felt abscessy, burning and couldn't eat or drink, but that may have been connected with a nearby crown settling down. Dentist hasn't ruled out beginnings of an abscess but can't see anything.

That's encouraging news, I am too much of a hypochondriac by far, especially these days with Google available too readily. Could you tell me if my dentist would eventually remove a cyst, or a GP or a hospital?

Gordon is right, and I would suggest a panorex just to be on the safe side, unless it has already been done. watch it over the next few months.

The dentist did do a normal X ray but by the name I imagine you mean some kind of 3D image, which I presume he doesn't have the equipment for. I get very worried about X rays to be honest because I worry about the harm they might do as I have had so many in my life, so I think I'll wait and see like you suggest.

basically a panorex is a panographic x-ray. Does the whole mouth and sinus area at once.

Back