• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Seabond!!!

SXB1962

SXB1962

My GOD!!! Bought some today and have just now tried it out for the first time. What a grip!!! It feels superb!!! ;D;D;D I'd recommend any denture-wearer to at least try it once!!!

So... my experiences with fixatives so far and marks out of 10:

Poligrip Strips - 4 out of 10

Fixadent - 8 out of 10

Poligrip Ultra - 9 out of 10

Seabond - 11 out of 10 ;D

Brilliant stuff! I'll be using it from now on. ;D;D;D

Of course, others on here have used it and haven't got on with it. Fair enough - everyone is different and so on. But for me it's grrrrreat!

Been wanting to try them SXB1962 . Are you using the strips or paste? I wouldnt think it will work to good on a soft realign, Might try it out when i get my hard realign done.

Great list, SXB!
Could you add which form of each brand you tried?

I really wish they'd sell trial-sized packages. I've got about a year's worth of a couple different brands that although I'm not using them, I hate to buy MORE just to experiment. Somebody could make a fortune packaging a "starter kit" consisting of a sample of each product. :)

Been wanting to try them SXB1962 . Are you using the strips or paste? I wouldnt think it will work to good on a soft realign, Might try it out when i get my hard realign done.

Well, it's not strips or paste. It's like a little sheet of blotting paper (for want of a better term!). It's a vaguely denture-shaped 'wafer' that you have to trim to fit exactly. And as for removing it from the denture, no problem at all. It just peels off, VERY VERY easily!

AND it works great on a soft lining. Well... it works on my soft lining anyway. :)

PS - I don't work for Seabond! :o:):o:)

Great list, SXB!
Could you add which form of each brand you tried?

I really wish they'd sell trial-sized packages. I've got about a year's worth of a couple different brands that although I'm not using them, I hate to buy MORE just to experiment. Somebody could make a fortune packaging a "starter kit" consisting of a sample of each product. :)

That IS a good idea! My dentist actually gave me a sample of Poligrip Ultra.

Here's a list of each fixative I've used:

Poligrip Strips

Fixodent (Not Fixadent! Silly me! :o)

Poligrip Ultra

Seabond

Go Seabond! The KING (AND QUEEN!) of fixatives! :):):)

Oh yeah, did I mention that I wasn't an employee of Seabond? ;)

I don't have shares in the company either! ;D;D;D

Well I just might have to try it out, I've seen it at the store, Just wasn't too sure how well it would work on a soft liner.

:sleepyjuice:

Gummin It - maybe we should clarify what we both mean by a soft lining or soft realign?

What my dentist has done is put in a silicone-based lining into my denture - I then bite down on it, off and on, for at least an hour. It sets to a hard rubbery substance, which gets discoloured but does stay in place 'permanently' apparently. It's this which Seabond has no problem with.

Is this what you're thinking of? :)

I'd hate for you to use Seabond and ruin any lining you might have...

I will definitely try the Seabond, SXB. Thank you for giving such a good description. I'll likely have to cut the wafers into strips as my dentures are extra small. I wouldn't want to waste a lot by trimming it off. I'm a cheapskate! LOL

Right now I'm doing okay without adhesive. There are times I wish I'd used some before eating, but I'm too lazy to go put some in mid-meal. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'll be needing a little help between now and when I get my permanent dentures, and I'll be sure to try the Seabond when I do! I can use the paste I've already bought for patching sneakers. :giggle:

I will definitely try the Seabond, SXB. Thank you for giving such a good description. I'll likely have to cut the wafers into strips as my dentures are extra small. I wouldn't want to waste a lot by trimming it off. I'm a cheapskate! LOL

My denture is pretty small too. There's not that much wasted when I trim the Seabond - about a tenth of the wafer maybe...

I suppose if I save up those 'tenths' I could ask my wife to sew them together (she's a pretty good seamstress) so I can have an extra wafer! Now THAT would be cheapskate behaviour!!! ;D;D;D

<thinks> But what could she use as thread?

<thinks again>
DENTAL FLOSS!!! Of course!!! ;D;D;D

Serious-ish comment: I'm still using the Seabond and it's still as good as when I first started using it. Still the best in my humble opinion. :)

SXB :XXLhug: thank you so much for recommending Seabond. I have had my dentures for 3 weeks now but because of various probs only started wearing them everyday for 5 days, was using fixodent, today thanks to you Itried seabond and its great :jump:. I love the way it cushions them, I still have a couple of bits that hurt me and the seabond has stopped that. My denture is small and not to much wastage

Julie

SXB :XXLhug: thank you so much for recommending Seabond. I have had my dentures for 3 weeks now but because of various probs only started wearing them everyday for 5 days, was using fixodent, today thanks to you Itried seabond and its great :jump:. I love the way it cushions them, I still have a couple of bits that hurt me and the seabond has stopped that. My denture is small and not to much wastage

Julie

Glad to be of help Julie! :)

It's great stuff isn't it? The cushioning is one of the advantages it has over Poligrip etc. I don't know about you, but when I put my denture in first thing in the morning, the Seabond virtually jumps into place on my upper jaw! It 'hugs' my gums! ;D

And I expect you've notice how easy it is to take off. It just peeeeeeeels away ever so easily. Nothing stuck to your gums, nothing stuck to the denture. :)

AND... no bad taste either. I notice a slight 'salt-water' taste for a few seconds after putting it in but for the rest of the day nothing. :)

Yep, agree with how it 'jumps' into place and how I love the no mess, nothing stuck on gums or roof of mouth, that bit I can certainly live without ;D

Yep, agree with how it 'jumps' into place and how I love the no mess, nothing stuck on gums or roof of mouth, that bit I can certainly live without ;D

God yes, when I was using Poligrip Ultra, it used to take a good ten minutes to scrape it off the roof of my mouth. None seemed to stick to the denture itself though.

Having said that, today I had to remove my denture and, of course, the Seabond 'wafer' to do a minor DIY adjustment to my denture soft lining. Anyway, I wasn't going to use another wafer just for a few hours so I dabbed some Fixodent on. SO! I've got some scraping to look forward to later on tonight! ARGH! :o;D:o;D

Such fun, eh! ;D

:o poor you. Strange how it sticks to us but not the denture and seems to take forever to get off

Anyone got any idea where I can buy it? Looks in chemists and Asda, but no joy! Any other supermarkets stock it?

Hi Emma

I got mine from Boots, I think Tesco do it also. It was £3.29 for 15 wafers

Ooohhh I just checked Tesco for you and they do it for £3.09...know where my next lot is coming from lol

Julie

Last edited:
Hi Emma

I got mine from Boots, I think Tesco do it also. It was £3.29 for 15 wafers

Ooohhh I just checked Tesco for you and they do it for £3.09...know where my next lot is coming from lol

Julie

I've been buying mine from Tesco - there's one in the town where I work.

BUT! My wife says our local chemist sells it for £2.99! A whole 10p cheaper! And more convenient! ;D;D;D

:mad: but I bet its no where near me :ROFLMAO:

:mad: but I bet its no where near me :ROFLMAO:

It might be just a little bit out of the way for you, Julie! :o:o:o

I'm going to now annoy everyone by saying my wife was wrong about the price of Seabond in my local chemist...

I went in this morning just to check the price - it wasn't £2.99 for a box of 15, it was £2.80!!! ;D;D;D

I shall buy 2 or 3 boxes next time I need to buy some. ;D;D;D