• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain after deep filling

O

ogg monster

Hi,

Yesterday I had a very deep filling. It was a replacement of an old filling.

After the initial X Ray the dentist said that it looked like the hole would be ok to just be filled but when he did the filling he said that as it was so deep all the work might irritate the pulp and it might flare up the tooth and I might end up needing a root canal on it.

The filling was yesterday morning and I have woken up with pain in that tooth bad enough to take a pain killer.

I'm not sure whether this pain I am experiencing now is from the pulp being irritated from the work, or whether it is a sign that a filling wasn't in fact enough and that I will need a root canal (or both).

Should I leave it a few days to see if it is just irritation from the work, or should I contact the dentist straight away and go back for a root canal?

I didn't really ask as much as I should have after the work because I couldn't talk very easilly due to the whole left side of my mouth being numb from having fillings top and bottom that side.

I don't want to leave it longer than necessary, but I also don't want to go running back to the dentist with what is totally normal after a deep filling, especially as he did say I might have pain, but he also said I might need root canal, but I am not clear on whether the pain means I definitely will need a root canal or whether some pain is normal and will go away.

Hope this makes sense - I know I should have asked him to be clearer yesterday.

Hi ogg,

I had a very deep filling about a month ago that also gave me some pain about 48 hours after the procedure. Actually I had some discomfort once the numbness wore off, then I had a strong bout of pain two days after. The pain I had radiated across my whole jawline and it was a weird throbbing, deep pain (not quite abscess-like). I took some ibuprofin, just one dose, and it went away and hasn't come back.

I was going back to the dentist to get more work done the following week, so I asked him about it when he asked how I was going. He told me it was probably due to a combination of it being a big filling/nerve has to settle down, and matrix band causing some trauma to the tooth. Anyway, I still have a little bit of sensitivity in the tooth, but I've had both adjacent teeth filled too so I'm giving it some time to settle.

If the pain doesn't subside for you, I'd definitely give the dentist a call to check with him. You shouldn't really be in constant pain, I wouldn't think.

u

Thanks for your reply - really helpful!

I took the Ibuprofen at 8 and the deep pain is gone but it is still sensitive - it feels like it is clunking against the bottom tooth more than it should (if that makes sense).

I think I will see how I go over the weekend and maybe give them a call on Monday if nothing has improved.

Thanks again for replying.

Ogg

I'm typing this from my iPod and I will get around to a formal intro of myself soon. I just had a deep filling on a fractured tooth and it's a bit sensitive right now. I haven't been to a dentist in 20 years.. I'm terrified. I didn't really have alot pain before i decided to go but there was some and I didn't want an infection so I bit the bullet. My dentist was excellent I'm just concerned with the discomfort I'm feeling at the moment. It's not unbearable and I know i. have to give if a few days because it was close to the nerve and all. I'm just looking forward to not having an issue in my mouth!! I will be going back for deep cleaning and a full mouth check up soon. I'm still terrified lol but I know I need to. Thanks for listening!

Hi, Right now I a suffering with similar symptoms of yours. Its been three weeks now but still I feel the pain after having my meals. Pain start almost after 5-10 minutes of meals and last for 15 minutes. I just like to know what was your end results. Also any advice

Hi ogg,

I had a very deep filling about a month ago that also gave me some pain about 48 hours after the procedure. Actually I had some discomfort once the numbness wore off, then I had a strong bout of pain two days after. The pain I had radiated across my whole jawline and it was a weird throbbing, deep pain (not quite abscess-like). I took some ibuprofin, just one dose, and it went away and hasn't come back.

I was going back to the dentist to get more work done the following week, so I asked him about it when he asked how I was going. He told me it was probably due to a combination of it being a big filling/nerve has to settle down, and matrix band causing some trauma to the tooth. Anyway, I still have a little bit of sensitivity in the tooth, but I've had both adjacent teeth filled too so I'm giving it some time to settle.

If the pain doesn't subside for you, I'd definitely give the dentist a call to check with him. You shouldn't really be in constant pain, I wouldn't think.

u

Back