• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Apico Surgery

J

jrpky42003

Ok I'm new here, let me tell you guys my whole story before I actually ask my question.

I went to the dentist for the first time in about 5 years back in May of 2009. I didn't go for a long period of time due to family issues and no possible way to go, etc, therefore resulted in problems with my teeth.

So I went, and the dentist told me i would need crowns and root canals on my bottom 4 teeth, and a lot of fillings on my molars, etc. So I had the fillings done in about 2 or 3 visits, and then came time for the root canals.

He root canaled these bottom 4 teeth, and put a post in and build up around them to give them stable structure until I got my crowns.

Due to me being on medicaid, he had to get these crowns approved by the state to get them paid for. So until that time, I had waited a few months, everything went smoothly etc.

Then he told me that the state not only approved crowns for those, but approved them for basically all my teeth except for my 2 bottom k9s, my top front 6 teeth, etc, because the fillings were deep and would not be very long-lasting.

So, I went and had the bottom teeth that needed crowns prepped, took molds etc for permanents, and temporarys placed. And waited 2 weeks, went back and had the bottom perm crowns placed, and top teeth that needed crowns prepped, molds took for perms, etc. A couple weeks later went back and had the perms put in, everything cleaned, flossed, bite adjusted etc.

A few weeks later, i noticed that the right side was hitting a little higher than the left, and had the bite adjusted(it still does not feel right now, but i'll get to that in a minute).

Anyways, I started to feel a wierd sensation in my bottom 4 front teeth, not pain, nothing like that, just kind of felt like the crowns might have been loose, etc. So i went to the dentist and he said they were fine, and he pulled on them and made sure they were not loose, and gave me some antibiotics and i went on my way.

After taking the anti-biotics, i realized that the problem was still occuring. Remember, no pain, nothing, but just a sensitive type feeling that sometimes caused a pulsing feeling(no pain).

I went back, and he said that after thinking for a little while and looking at x-rays he realized i might have a left over infection from the root canal in a couple of those teeth, and referred me to see a oral maxioffical(sp) surgeon. I saw him, and he said that I would need an apicotonemy(sp), as well as my 3 wisdom teeth out.

So my question is, does anyone have any experience with apico and should it work? What are the risks and side effects besides extraction? How long should I take to heal before I can go back to school etc? Please let me know, and thanks for having a great source like this to come to:) Thank you.

Josh

I had it on the surgery on the 2nd february...
its no where near as bad as i thought.. only took about 20 minutes to do and i didnt feel anything.
it took me about a week before i felt anywhere near "normal" enough to go back to college .. i couldnt hardly talk nevermind eat due to swelling! wasnt the most pleasant thing ever!
the case of whether it works.. i don't know. 3 weeks after the surgery my pain came back :/ back to see the dentist again tomorrow about it.. however my tooth is really really really bad! the success rate is quite good i think :) i'd rather have it over extraction!

well like i said, i havent had any pain...just sensitivity!

Old cynic that I am, I can't help wondering whether all those crowns were strictly necessary, given that Medicaid were paying.
Ditto your wisdom teeth - you went about sth else and he wants to take them all out - would Medicaid also be paying for wisdom teeth removal?
In UK the guideline thesedays is only to remove them if they cause problems or are very likely to, based on lack of space in jaw etc.
In USA it seems to be the norm to always remove them regardless.
It's your choice, you don't have to have this done if they are asymptomatic.
Can't comment on apico - as no personal experience.

Good luck anyways.

Back