• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth next to extraction still hurts after 4 days

J

Jane123

I had tooth #4 extracted on Monday. It required an incision, but didn't hurt too much the first couple of days. I was only taking advil every 6 hours. On the 3rd day, the teeth next to the extraction started to hurt. If I don't take advil every 4 hours it starts hurting fairly badly. Similar to an absess hurt, but doesn't feel 'big', doesn't react to hot/cold, doesn't hurt when tapped on.....but has that similiar throbbing sensation of an absess.

I went back to the oral surgeon, he x-rayed tooth #6 & #7 because they have root canals and he thought he saw something on the panaramic (taken last year). He didn't x-ray #5..but possibly he already had an x-ray of this from when he x-rayed #4 prior.

Anyhow, he said he didn't see anything on the x-ray and that the extraction was healing great...but he didn't know why I was in pain. Suggested maybe my bite is off, but didn't check my bite and told me to give it a couple of weeks.

My question is this... Could the trauma from the extraction cause tooth #5 to start dying or absess (it doesn't currently have a root canal). The oral surgeon did slip a couple of times during the extraction and hit some of my teeth with his instrument, however, I'm not really sure which teeth he hit.

I'm doing fairly well on the advil, but I'm starting to freak out here and think that this isn't going to just 'go away' anytime soon...plus I don't really want to take advil for 2 weeks!

Any suggestions? Should I call my regular dentist? I'm afraid she'll just tell me to go back to the oral surgeon.

first off :) call your dentist and ask! sthey'll be able to put your mind at ease :)

i'm having the same issue with the tooth in front of my extraction. It's a sort of ache that feels like it eases when i apply pressure with my tongue... Is that similar? I think its my tooth getting used to having space, sort of shifting back into the space, if that makes sense.

hope you feel better soon :) xx

This is more than an ache...it kind of throbs like an absess. Of course, if advil takes care of it, then I assume it's probably not an absess...but it could be the slow death of a tooth.

I think I will call my dentist tonight..after dinner.. so at least she won't be mad at me! lol

Ya know, I'm just so tired of having bad teeth. Ironically, most people on this forum are afraid of dentists....me? I'm afraid of my teeth. Not sure how much longer I can keep this all up. I'm 53 and have had bad teeth all my life. Tired of the pain...not to mention the expense.

Dentures scare me, but a pain-free life might be better than this.

Hi jane 123

I had a similar thing after my extraction it did just take time ( 2 months) for the teeth next to the extraction to settle. Like you I am afraid of my teeth I like that phrase it's made me feel better! I don't like going to the dentist and having treatment but I can handle it (just) it's the fear of what hoorors my teeth have instore for me that is my proble.

I seem to have a constant obsession with one tooth / gum or another even if the dentist says they are fine.

I hope your tooth settles down I used nurofen and bonjela to help.

Cheers

Helgarr

Thanks Helgarr. That's nice to know that someone had a similar experience. I too obsess with my teeth. It seems there's always something going on...a dull ache here, an inflamed gum there. I've discovered that clove oil numbs the gumline fairly well and seems to heal them fairly quickly. It's potent stuff though, so if you ever try it, be careful to only put a small amount on.

I noticed last night that the top of my mouth (near the incision) is kind of yellow and it's very near the tips of the roots of these teeth. This area was a little black and blue after the extraction...obviously bruised. I'm thinking that this might be whats affecting my teeth right now. This morning I'm trying to get past the pain and not take the advil. It's been 10 hours since I last took the advil.... but I think my will power is fading.

I also had a similar experience with my extraction. The tooth next to the extraction site was sore for about 4-5 days and then a bit sensitive for a week or so after that. I also had that throbbing/itchy sensation in it, which is incredibly annoying and feels like an infection. In the end, I'm not sure if it actually was an infection, as I was given antibiotics because the extracted tooth was abscessed pretty badly, and the discomfort seemed to go away quickly.

All up though, the pain/discomfort lasted about 1 week, and it's now 100% fine.

I had the same problem for 6 weeks after my extraction. It was extremely painful and it was not dry socket. We were traveling and I couldn't see my regular dentist. It seemed to be getting worse by the day. I found a wonderful dentist who found nothing wrong except the extraction caused my bite to be high on the next tooth. He ground the opposing tooth down a tiny bit and it was instantly better. In 2 days the pain was completely gone. The high tooth was pushing down on the tooth next to the retracted one, irritating the bone, keeping it from healing.

Back