• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sore throat and earache after full extraction

GummyMummy17

GummyMummy17

Just checking, is that to be expected?

I'm on day 3 of post extraction was feeling fine , have woken up this morning and feel like sh*t basically. Incredibly tired, no energy, irritable with a really scratchy throat and achy ear on left side.Am on a 5 day course of Amoxicillin and have been taking and doing everything else I should be.Some advise please, thanks :)

I had my proceedure at 2.10pm GMT Weds, so it's not 72 hrs yet is it? This isn't a dry socket is it?

Last edited:
HI Gummy,

The ear ache I get but not the scratchy throat as related to extractions. Day three sometimes can be the worse, the day the aches, pains and swelling all peak.

So whether it's that or your coming down with the seasonal "creeping crud" a bunch of us have, antibiotics don't work on viruses like colds and flu.....your body is telling you to rest, drink lots of fluids and make sure you are getting some healthy calories down....feel better.

hugs

rp

Hi GM

Sorry to hear your not feeling so good today :XXLhug: I had both ears aching on day 3 and 4 and a sore throat. I was on heavy duty antibiotics as well. Felt so crappy on day 4 I stayed in bed all day which is not like me. I didn't have a dry socket, think its maybe where we were pulled around so much. Hope you feel better soon

Julie x

Thanks RP and SJ for replying so promptly that has reassured me.Just feeling my throat under the jaw on the left side near achy ear and it does feel more up and tender then the other side :>( I have had a runny nose and been sneezing too so will be dosing myself up.Was meant to be going out for a mothers day walk tomorrow with another family we know.Our son really gets on with theirs but I'm thinking I don't think I'll be up to it, I might send them all out so I can have a couple of hours peace:) I'm so flaming hungry too, but it hurts to swallow, luckily I have some Complan shakes I can have those.

GM
Yep send them out so you can rest you deserve it. Try yoghurts as well, they are soothing for the throat

i had 3 teeth pulled just over a week ago and i had a sore throat a couple days after the extractions. thought i was getting sick, but it went away in a day or 2.

(unfortunately, i had a earache that followed soon after and i have a dry socket :o)

yours is probably just soreness from the extractions and maybe a touch of illness. take the time to pamper yourself and heal!! (but keep an eye on your ear-haha-if it keeps aching, i'd put a call into your dentist!)

hoping you recover quickly!!

:) ally

Back